CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > General > Web Site and Forum Info

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 03:40 PM

Lightbulb Tips & Tricks to be edited by user's?

Hi.
I would like to have 'Sticky' thread posted by users so that useful threads are accessible by browsing the index.
Like one here;
http://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6483
This supposed to be good for long time, (I have not tested yet). But the thread won't stay there as the time goes by.
I cannot tell how the Tips thread supposed to be maintained, but that will enable new user to know what basical things are available.
What about this?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Re: Tips & Tricks to be edited by user's?

The problem with threads such as this is finding someone who is willing to maintain them. It can take significant time and effort. I have seen other forums with sticky "FAQ" or "Tips" threads that no one is actively maintaining and they are no longer of much value. Also new members tend to just start a new thread and ask a question rather than searching or checking the sticky threads first.

However, I have no objection to making such a thread sticky if someone is willing to start and maintain it. Would you like to volunteer?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:04 AM

Well. after you predicted the future of the Tip & Trick thread, I feel kind of dizzy to say ' YES I WANT TO!'. but that was the reason why I posted it. So I should not have choices.
The point is that these sticky threads need to be neat and tidy to be used. The posts need to be refreshed from time to time by the user who browsed them and sould be evaluated useful or not by them.
As far as the system can be sorted by browser's votes, I guess it won't be too easily abandoned by majority of new users.

Yes I would like to at least post some threads. Would you consider having them with auto sort by user's votes weight? Then useless one would be down to the bottom all the time, I guess. (Auto maintained by voters)
Old 10-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Maybe I misundertood what you are asking for. I thought you wanted a single sticky thread of Tips & Tricks containing links to other useful threads. I don't think it would be a good idea to stick threads such as the one you linked above because soon the top of each forum would contain nothing but sticky threads.

It is already possible for members to rate any current thread although it is rarely done outside of the Enhancement thread. You can sort a forum listing by rating by clicking the Rating link at the top of the column. But that is a temporary setting which only affects your current view of the forum.

I think a well maintained Tips & Tricks thread can be useful, but it seems that people rarely consult them before they post a question. Also the Search function can often find old threads on a topic which may have fallen far down in the forum with the default Last Post sorting.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scheffel View Post
Maybe I misundertood what you are asking for. I thought you wanted a single sticky thread of Tips & Tricks containing links to other useful threads.
No you did not.This is perfectly right.
But what I suggested was to have a rating system inside this thread to sort orders to have the contents refreshed. The sticky thread won't be too many but one.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wathavy View Post
No you did not.This is perfectly right.
But what I suggested was to have a rating system inside this thread to sort orders to have the contents refreshed. The sticky thread won't be too many but one.
I'm not aware of a method to automatically sort links within a thread or post. I don't think vBulletin supports anything like that but it has a lot of features. Since vBulletin is PHP source code just about anything is possible but that is way beyond my skills.

There is no option to rank posts within a thread so it couldn't be done that way. As far as I know the only way to do this is for someone to manually update and maintain the thread.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:48 PM

You are right. It is not easy to sort the contents sequence, even if it's not impossible.
I started posting my own BBS which can be edited by anyone. And it is free of charge. But I could not find one in English environment. So I keep posting it on my own. The threads are written in English though.
Thank you for yout attention.