CoCreate User Forum

CoCreate User Forum (https://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/index.php)
-   System Administration (https://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   OSD, RAM, and 64Bit Workstations (https://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6393)

bobwing 08-31-2007 11:44 AM

OSD, RAM, and 64Bit Workstations

Does anyone know how much ram OneSpace Designer can utilize if it is run on a 64 bit machine? Can it even be run on a 64 bit machine.

Thanks.

clausb 08-31-2007 08:50 PM

Re: OSD, RAM, and 64Bit Workstations

From our whitepaper on "Memory management in OneSpace Modeling":

"Starting with OneSpace Modeling 2006, we also ship a full 64-bit version of the code for the x64 platforms. 64-bit applications such as OneSpace Modeling 2006 can use all of the virtual address space provided by the 64-bit operating system. In the case of Windows XP Professional x64, Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition and Windows Vista for 64-bit systems, the maximum user-mode virtual address space is 8 terabytes.

The practical limits are somewhat lower. Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and Windows Vista currently support a maximum of 128 GB of RAM; Windows Server 2003 x64 can handle up to 512 GB of RAM (2 TB if SP2 is installed). Windows Server 2008 will support up to 2 TB. At the time of writing this (2007), there are still only relatively few hardware systems which which can handle as much as 128 GB of main memory."

Hope this helps,

Claus

bobwing 09-04-2007 03:38 AM

Thanks Claus,

We are looking into all future workstation purchases to be 64 bit machines. One of the main driving factors is the greater ram availability and capability and the softwares ability to utilize this extra ram.

Do you know where I could find this whitepaper? Is it on the CoCreate website?

clausb 09-04-2007 06:52 AM

The whitepaper is currently only accessible to CoCreate partners, but you can certainly ask your support contact to get it for you. If that doesn't work, drop me a line via email, and I'll send you the whitepaper when I'm back in the office (in a week from now).

Claus

bobwing 09-06-2007 05:57 AM

Claus,
Do you have any info on supported CPU's?

Will CoCreate products run on duo-core, quad-core, etc. CPU's?

They will run on dual CPU machines, correct?

Wolfgang 09-07-2007 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobwing (Post 18147)
Will CoCreate products run on duo-core, quad-core, etc. CPU's?

They will run on dual CPU machines, correct?

Current OSMs are running on those CPUs..... but they they do not support multithreading, except rendering module AFAIK

luigimilano 09-26-2007 10:48 PM

We have 3 machine with windows XP x64 with 8 GB RAM and works very fine.

Bye

andrea 09-07-2009 06:26 AM

Now CoCreate Modeling support multithreading ??
The Processor Intel Xeon Quad-core E5530 ,
two processor.

it succeeds to work with both the processor ??

John Scheffel 09-09-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrea (Post 22471)
Now CoCreate Modeling support multithreading ??
The Processor Intel Xeon Quad-core E5530 ,
two processor.

it succeeds to work with both the processor ??

I don't recall CoCreate ever announcing that Modeling will make use of multiple processors/cores (as of version 2008/16). So I think the answer is no but if anyone has better information please correct me.

John Scheffel 09-10-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Scheffel (Post 22477)
I don't recall CoCreate ever announcing that Modeling will make use of multiple processors/cores (as of version 2008/16). So I think the answer is no but if anyone has better information please correct me.

I received a private message indicating that Modeling will use multithreading for some operations. See the section of the Modeling FAQ which discusses multithreading at this URL.

http://www.clausbrod.de/CoCreateModeling/OsdmFaqHardware#MultiProcessorSystems

So more than one core probably won't provide a significant improvement for most Modeling operations but will improve the operations listed in that FAQ.