View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 06:58 PM

Re: OneSpace vs. SolidWorks

I encourage folks to look at a brand new 3D CAD Modeler from SpaceClaim. I say this not to suggest that you necessarily jump from OSM to SpaceClaim, but to reinforce the value of dynamic modeling. SpaceClaim - the newest 3D MCAD system on the market (and thus able to design what they feel is the best direction for a new 3D modeler). The CEO is a co-founder of PTC and SolidWorks, and the VP or R&D was also a PTC co-founder. Did they create another history-based, parametric modeler? No, they didn't. They created a system, as written by Martyn Day, that "overcomes the limitations of ‘Features’, ‘History Trees’ and ‘Parametric Constraints’ but makes the modelling of complex forms easy."

I find it very interesting that these folks, with their background and understanding of history and parametrics based MCAD system, chose to create essentiallly another "dynamic modeling" MCAD system. I also think that CoCreate needs to look very seriously at the UI and the methodologies employed ("hints", "mirrors", "SmartTools", "PowerSelect", etc), as they truly appear to make the tool very dynamic in nature.