View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 07:52 AM

Re: PTC To Acquire Leading Product Development Software Provider CoCreate

Here's what I bet is going on:

PTC saw the new non-history modeler come on the block - SpaceClaim - and they have decided that they need to play in that market segment of CAD also.

I just called one of my buddies at PTC and he said that while PTC has not given a public reason for the acquisition (he had just heard about it this morning, too), my assessment "seemed reasonable".

It was also his opinion that PTC could leverage this by giving CoCreate users the ability to have access to higher-end CAD functionality as it was integrated into the CoCreate tool, perhaps even to the point of having some level of interoperability between OneSpace and Pro/Engineer. This could give CoCreate users an upgrade path that they would not otherwise have. SpaceClaim users will have no recourse should they outgrow the SpaceClaim software, other than totally switching software packages.

Ultimately, PTC has seen that there is a segment of the CAD market that does not understand or want embedded logic in their CAD geometry, and so they have bought a tool that caters to that market segment.