View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007, 06:41 AM

Re: OneSpace vs. SolidWorks

Steve -

Thanks for your input. I cut my "3D teeth" using AutoCad. It worked, but it was very painful sometimes getting to where I wanted to go. It was definitely what you'd call a "dumb" modeler (if a hole was in the wrong place, you couldn't just move it, you had to construct a cylinder and add it to your part to fill the hole back up, then create a new hole), and when we switched to Solidworks many years ago, it was like a ton of bricks was lifted from my shoulders - such freedom!

Now, I certainly don't see the same restrictions with OS, but I will keep your point in mind during my evaluation. I'm trying to get enough of my projects already started with SolidWorks done so I can hopefully find out what OS has to offer. My greatest interest is in what May pointed out....does the benefit of history-based outweigh the extra overhead of computer hardware requirements?

The really nice thing that CoCreate has done is to not time limit PE. I don't have the luxury of dropping everything I'm doing to try out a "30 day trial" of different software, and I'm an old enough goat (I won't go into how many times I've been "49 again") that I can pick up a different way of doing things fast enough to get a good feel for a software's value by just clicking through a demo part or two.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinion, Steve.

Steve R.