View Single Post
Old 12-13-2002, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Lightbulb Please Post Your Results Here

Thanks Claus. I would encourage people to run viewbench and post their results along with PC specs as replies to this thread. If we keep all the results together in a single thread, it could be a handy reference. Be aware that it takes about 10 minutes to run and you shouldn't be doing anything else on your PC, so allocate some time for it and close all other applications.

You can attach the "perf_viewbench_name" file that it creates, but you will have rename the file to add a ".txt" extension so you can attach it. You could also just copy and paste into your post, but it is pretty long. Try to include your system specs, but you may not want to attach your "viewbench_conf_name.log" file since it contains a lot of info about your PC which you may not want to be public.

If we get enough results, maybe we can summarize them into a table or spreadsheet file.

A few issues

I downloaded viewbench and tried it out in Modeling 11.6, but it stopped with an "out of memory" message. I have 1000 MB of Virtual Memory and the Modeling memory limit is set to 1370 MB. However, it did produce the log files, so maybe it was finished and this error didn't matter. I will post my results.

The Readme.html file says:
Quote:
These files will be created in the system's temporary directory; viewbench will echo the path of those files to stdout (i.e. into the terminal window which you used to start up OneSpace Designer).
Under Windows 2000, I never see the "terminal window" unless I click View, Console first. The files are written to the METMPDIR directory, which under Windows defaults to the TMP environment variable (if you don't set it to something else). You can find out the path for TMP or METMPDIR by opening a Command Prompt window and entering:
Code:
set TMP
set METMPDIR
The Readme.html file indicates that the performance log file will be named "perf_viewbench_machinename.log", but on my PC it did not have a ".log" extension.

Another issue is that the log files created contain Unix line feeds, so you cannot view them in NotePad. You can view them in WordPad. With Windows becoming the dominant OS for Modeling, it might be better to use DOS line feeds.