CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Old NewsGroup Archive > Archive Forums > User Group Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-1999, 11:02 PM
Jamie Allen

re: UNIX to Win95/Win-NT Macro

To whom it may concern, I was recently asked the following, "Guys - is the problem here a matter of there being thousands of lines of code that need re-writing or is it a matter of not knowing how to implement the Unix stuff in Windows?". This question was posed to me by a gentleman by the name of Darren Litherland. In answer to this question, the problem is "having many lines of code that need re-writing". My basis for investigating this issue is that I know such a "translator" is available for converting BASIC programs to C programs. It only seems logical that a similar translator can/could/has or will be written for converting macros written for use on a UNIX system to macros that will work on any system (UNIX, Windows 95 or Windows-NT). I also know that this macro would be very beneficial to other "mixed platform" users like myself. Especially, since HP is pushing everyone to utilizing the Windows-NT machines for their "terminals" and only using the workstations for their servers. This is due to the fact that, I have been told by HP, the X-Stations are being fased out and are only being manufactured on a limited and "special order" basis. I was informed that this was being done since the Windows-NT/PC stations were now as fast (and many times faster) and were also much cheaper. Please respond with any "helpful" comments you may have. Sincerely, Jamie Allen Corporate UNIX Network Administrator
Old 07-23-1999, 12:06 AM
Claus Brod

re: re: UNIX to Win95/Win-NT Macro

Jamie,

see my reply to the "Piping from within ME10" in the ME10 forum for pointers to both commercial and free products which implement much of the standard UNIX shell/command functionality on NT. Using these tools, you will be able to run almost all UNIX-based macros and scripts with minimal porting effort.

Hope this helps,

Claus