CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Modeling Personal Edition

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 07:13 AM

3d sweeps... this is confusing

Hey everyone. I'm not really sure how to do this and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction..

I've got a lattice panel type thing that is slightly arch shaped -http://www.pergolapatiocover.com/product-images/305-x-901.jpg

like that one, and i'm trying to create the frame for it out of metal tubing or something. I was able to find a spline tutorial online which shows how to basically extrude a wire through 3 holes in a part where you just click the centers or each hole to make the spline curve pass through each one. Since I don't have reference holes and don't want my curve to be as freeform as that example (i.e. not using the spline tool but somehow extruding a circle around an outline I made of the part)

This picture might make it more clear.

so ideally, i'd like to just draw a circle and extrude it around the frame I created, but have no idea how to do that

any help would be appreciated (even just pointers as to where i should look for info on this)
Old 12-01-2010, 05:14 AM

Re: 3d sweeps... this is confusing

What you are looking for is the sweep command. This will sweep a profile along a spine. The spine can be a spline or a curve drawn on a workplane.

The limit of the sweep command is it cannot create degenerate surfaces. For example, if a center of a circle is on the spine that it is swept along, the corner of the spine must be a curve greater than the radius of the circle. If not the circle will intersect itself at the corner making a "degenerate" surface.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Creo Elements/Direct 20.1
Dell Precision 3581
https://www.o-i.com