CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Modeling Personal Edition

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 10:56 AM

Convert multiple parts to one

Hi...

This is my first post here, so please be kind...

I am learning to use CoCreate Modeling Personal Edition 3.0. I've used version 2.0 for some small personal projects and so know some simple basics, but that's about it. I now want to use it to try out some design ideas for work.

I want to import, via IGES files, a complete mechanism that we manufacture, and then design a housing around it, etc. The problem is that when I import the IGES file, I end up with 566 parts, which exceeds the Personal Edition limit of 60 parts. I don't need to make any changes to the mechanism, so it would be fine if it was treated as one part. Is there a way to accomplish that?

I searched here for an answer, and did find one thread that was related. This stated that they could be combined if they were touching, but never said HOW to combine them. Maybe this is something simple that I missed and will be embarrassed to have overlooked. I thought that maybe it was the Merge command, but this doesn't seem to work for me.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on this subject. If necessary, I can also import the part as an STP file, but I suspect that this will give me the same problem.

Many thanks in advance!

Charlie

P.S. I don't know if it's relevant, but all the parts import with the part names "Skin_Group".
Old 08-26-2010, 06:05 AM

Re: Convert multiple parts to one

If your parts touch, you can unite them. The Unite function is found in the Machine menu. You select the part to be the blank. This is the part that is to remain after the unite operation. (default blank is the active part) and then select the part(s) to be the tool. (de-select the tool)

NOTE: Unite only works with valid solid models. If your parts imported as face parts, they cannot be united. Because your parts are named "skin_group", there is a very good chance that they are face parts and not solid models. Try to re-import your IGES file, and this time select the "Options" button in the load dialog box. Set Accuracy handling to Source Accuracy, and make sure that the Variable option is turned on (checked)
Old 08-26-2010, 06:35 AM

Mike, thanks for the detailed response. I'm going to give it a try this evening.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:23 PM

I created two solid models and United them; it worked exactly as Mike described. But I seem to be unable to import my parts as solid models, even using the Options settings exactly as Mike described them. I tried importing the file (which was created in Pro-E and then saved to different formats) as a STP also, but that created an error message on the model for each of the 566 parts. Can anyone suggest other options here, other than creating my own solid model of the Pro-E parts?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:02 PM

Hi,

what exactly does the error message say??
One bug that I'm aware of is that the STEP interface doesn't work unless it's started automatically during startup of Modeling.
So, in Application > Modules, click on Startup, and make sure that the STEP import is in the list of Startup modules. After that, restart Modeling, and it should work.
Complex Pro/E models, especially with lots of rounds, sometimes give import problems when imported in Modeling. This is because Pro/E uses a very course accuracy, whereas Modeling uses an accuracy of 1e-6 mm. If a model is hard to convert, I often try Iges instead, and sometimes this fixes the problem.
By the way, since version 17, the paid version of Modeling can handle import from / export to Pro/E MUCH better (Modeling can now open .prt and .asm, and export .neu and .g).

Regards,
Jaap
Old 08-27-2010, 03:59 AM

Hi, Jaap...
The message is "WARNING: BODY HAS AREAS WHICH ARE A ONE-SIDED SHEET".

When I click on "Application", the only choice is "CoCreate Modeling", which has a check mark in front of it. There is no "Modules" option at all. Maybe that's because this is Personal Edition 3.0?

Best regards,
Charlie
Old 08-27-2010, 04:12 AM

Hi,

ah, yes, Personal Edition may not have that option, sorry.

The error is not a nice one: it means that the STEP translator is not able to make a correct model out of the STEP file. The imported model is corrupt.
As said, you could try Iges, if that's available in PE...
If your STEP / Iges translators have an Options button, do click that, and switch off the Check Part option. That way, you may be able to import the model, although it will probably be corrupt...
Good luck,
Jaap
Old 08-28-2010, 03:11 PM

Jaap,

Thanks, I'll try turning off "check part" for the IGES import.

Charlie
Old 07-19-2011, 06:54 AM

my understanding is that the software is made that way on purpose as they don't want us being able to go between a paid subscription version and the personal. so in other words they aren't compatible and cannot go between them. at least that I'm aware of.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Banned

It is a common problem of low features with this version of the software, i also faced that and then i have to upgrade the application.

Tags
combine, merge, parts