CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Old NewsGroup Archive > Archive Forums > System Administration

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-1998, 09:05 PM
Mr. ME

How do you manage your CAD data?

I would like to know how system adminstrators manage their CAD data. Do you use WorkManager or some other similar system, or have you developed your own? Does anyone "manage" their CAD data without any kind of PDM system?
Old 08-04-1998, 07:01 AM
Marc Godbout

re: How do you manage your CAD data?

Before buying PDM we used a simple, inexpensive concept to manage CAD drawings. Directory "vault" was built in which only user "docmgr" had write access and all users had read access. When a drawing was released docmgr would place it in vault. Drawing filenames included the revision (i.e. 6000A, 6000B, etc). The concept works well for basic revision control; it does not provide for management of electronic bills of material/parts structures. Email if more info would be useful.
Old 08-11-1998, 12:51 AM
Wolfgang Hofer

We have developed an own solution as a PDM system without a database. All the informations are stored in a simple ascii-file. We have a lot of input-fields, you can search a drawing with selection of wildcards in all of the input-fields. The part-structure also will be stored. So it is possible to search a part, show all drawings, where the part is included, to show the drawing with the part-editor and the searched part highlighted in an own viewport, and it is possible to load a part or a assembly from this viewport to the active drawing. We sold this solution near 500 times. We have one customer, that manages 70000 drawings with this solution.
Old 08-20-1998, 07:43 PM
Mr. ME

That was interesting guys. Wolfgang, when you say you have sold your solution 500 times I presume you mean to either 500 companies or 500 licenses. Which op.sys. are these using - all Unix or some NT/95? We have a similar ascii based system that works very well, but we are having trouble migrating to NT/95. Do you have any advice on this?
Old 08-24-1998, 11:34 PM
Bernhard Haag

We developed our own system based on logical tables which filled with ascci-files frequently (on night). This works on 30-workplaces. But we use HP-UX workstations 9.07 an 10.2 with the comand grep, find, sort ...on backround of RUN Graphic
Old 09-16-1998, 12:59 AM
Gerhard Deeg

Hallo Mr. Me, das ist doch ganz einfach. Jeder Auftrag verbunden mit dem ensprechenden Auftraggeber bekommt sein eigenes Verzeichnis (Directory) auf der Festplatte. So kann ich nach der Firma suchen. Wenn ich die Firma habe, dann sehe ich in den Verzeichnissen die einzelnen Aufträge. Das nächste Verzeichnis ist dann voll mit den Inhalt des Auftrages. Abgelegt nach Namen und Nummer. Und schon ist alles fertig. Nochmals: 1. Directory von der Firma 2. Directory des Auftrages 3. in disem Directory ist der Auftrag mit allen Zeichnungen. Verstanden? Wenn nicht, dann Übersetzungsprogramm genommen und übersetzt. Gruß aus Old Germany
Old 09-17-1998, 12:32 AM
Mr. ME

Bernhard, that's what we've done too (although we don't have jobs running every night). Have you looked into doing the same sort of thing with W95 or NT? Is there anyone out there who can translate the last reply? My German is about as good as my LISP!
Old 09-20-1998, 04:29 PM
Gerhard Deeg

The same text in english for Mr. ME Hello Mr. Me, that is however very simple. Each job connects with the corresponding client receive is own directory on the hard disk. So I could look first for the designer and than for the company. If I have the company, then I see in the tables of the single jobs. The next table is with the content of the full job. There are the names and number. And already is all ready. Again: 1. Directory of the designer and the company. 2. Directory of the job. 3. in this Directory there are the job with all drawings. I hope you can understand me? Greetings from Old Germany
Old 12-14-1998, 04:20 AM
Jeff Lautt

We use Workmanager fully for all of our CAD data management as well as BOM's, etc. If you have any detailed questions, please call me at 605-582-2300.
Old 01-12-1999, 03:38 PM
Jeff Lautt

United Cad/Cam Sytems, HP and Cocreate VAR, has created DCS (document control system) which would do exactly what your looking for, I think. It is also fairly inexpensive. It is setup to run on Windows 95,98 or NT. You can call Ted Jarosch for details and literature. Let him know you talked to me. Or you can simply check it out on their web site at www.uccs.com (I think they have some info out there) Good luck!
Old 09-01-1999, 08:13 AM
Leslie Bader

The only people managing data with PDM here are the folks in manufacturing. I'm in a lab environment, and all the labs here at our company DON'T use PDM. I've designed a solution for each project whereby the designers and outsiders can locate data quickly and easily. The main factors of managing it are who,part type, phase in design. The only problem with this method is that when it's all over, the data tends to hang around forever. Eventually a sys admin will pull it off the disc, or we'll run steady backups and just get rid of it when we run out of room. I'm not happy with this bcs. when people go on to other opportunities, their junk seems to hang around for YEARS!!! Maybe you know that PDM was initially designed for use in the lab environment. Isn't it funny that it was released only to manufacturing. Do you know why? It had to do with WAY in the beginning. Parts only have names and not numbers. The only other thing is, if we DID use PDM to manage our design data, we'd still need someone to manage PDM. I manage the software configurations for all our CAD products, as well as all our hardware configurations, and our strategic & tactical planning for the designers to be successful in product design from year to year. Managing data without PDM isn't a problem, as long as you have a PROCESS for the setup, the maintenance and use, then the backup, deletion, & removal. What are your ideas on this?? Leslie CAD IT Engineer Hewlett-Packard