CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Modeling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 10:37 AM

Dimensioning models only

I'm wondering if anyone regularly use 3D Documentation and GD&T for dimensioning their models only - foregoing making a 2D drawing? I have been intrigued by the possible efficiency of of ASME Y14.41, but it still seems very unclear how to apply it. The idea that I could just put a GD&T Profile block on the part and only tolerance the important features really appeals to me.

More of our machining is being done right off the model - we have one shop that won't even build our parts unless we supply a solid model. I am currently working on cast aluminum part in which much of the part will just be as cast, but still has a fair amount of machining involved.

I started trying to use docuplanes in the same way I would use 2d views, but since I rarely look straight on a part (I'm always rolling my view direction around), I found the way that dimensions are pulled up to the docuplane awkward.

Next I began freeing my dimensions from the docuplanes and found it somewhat more visually appealing, but found I can't easily hide the dimensions in the same way I can just turn off the docuplanes in the structure browser. I could could off labels for the viewport but prefer to have labels on in case I load a previously built part with important reference labels on them.

I'm wondering how anyone else out there deals with model only datasets. I look forward to any advice in making this successful. Perhaps I should put a docuplane on most of the faces I'm dimensioning, but maybe I'm trading one clutter for another.

Do you have a sense of how this information is received downstream in manufacturing and inspection? Do they prefer the model, or do they long for a piece of paper?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:53 PM

Re: Dimensioning models only

We do have several customers making good progress in this area. I hope some of them speak up here. Most of the progress seems to be in Japan, but I know of a few US companies that claim to be doing it to some degree.

Perhaps a "best practices" guide would be valuable here?? I don't think any exist today, but maybe we can work on it.

Did you notice that the 3D annotation does come through eDrawings? A shop would only need the free viewer to take advantage of the annotation on the model. Just need to get the annotation organized and readable (as you mention). Docuplanes may help but are more useful when leveraging the 3D anno to a 2D drawing. For drawingless, they may not be that useful.

Paul
Old 01-21-2009, 04:03 PM

Thanks Paul, that was my interpretation of Docuplanes as well.

At one point I had hopes a Nuts and Bolts type webinar might come together around this, but yes a best practices would be fabulous!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 AM

I was happy to discover I can Show/Hide Annos, which addresses my concern about cluttered model views. It would be nice to have more control of Show/Hide in 3D Documenation mode, perhaps an additional tab in the Viewport - Show properties menu to allow more selectivity over what is hidden and shown.