CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Modeling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 07:11 AM

Re: well, since no one else asked....

You're right it's even worse than I said
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmatelich View Post
Creo Elements Direct Modeling is worse than OneSpace Designer Modeling by two syllables. Hopefully they’ll wise up and stop insisting on something that doesn’t roll off the tongue.
They also want there to be a slash in the name. Which, if you look at it as if it were a folder location, kind of confirms my contention that the whole string is too much. You could read Creo Elements as the folder name (product family) and Direct Modeling as the file name (the specific element or specific product within that product family).
Old 11-10-2010, 11:45 AM

Creo is a very strange name if someone does a google search on it.

1. It was once a British Columbia Canada-based company involved in imaging and software technology now part of Eastman Kodak Company. A full-service video production company that specializes in scripting, HD or DSLR videography, editing, motion graphics and animation. CREO Magazine deals with end users using this technology.

2. CREO (Committee on Recently Extinct Organisms). http://creo.amnh.org

It seems that CoCreate will be going on the extinct list shortly with the name change to "Direct" something.

I can understand the word 'Direct" since CoCreate is an explicit CAD software. BUT, will this loose the CoCreate customer base? Will ME10 drafting or Annotation Drafting easily swing over to Direct Drafting? Will customers need to own more licenses under Creo to model in Direct (CoCreate) and to do drawings in Pro?

My company has been through a few CAD systems in it's 50+ years. They have learn to be flexible when a CAD package changes owners by migrating to a better solution. We are holding out on CoCreate 15.50G, the last version prior to PTC. If the dust settles, Creo, SolidWorks or UGNX may provide our solution into the next CAD era. Since CoCreate is non-parametric, there isn't too much to worry if the data gets switched to any other CAD package. The data behaves just like an imported STEP file.

Jason: "How much does it pay?"
Citizen: "Well, none of our other sheriffs ever lived long enough to find out."

Co-Create 2007 (15.50G)
ANSYS Workbench 14
SolidWorks 2011
UGNX-7.5 / TeamCenter UA 8
PADS 2000
Applicon Bravo
Autotrol
CADAM
Pro/E

Last edited by BMaverick; 11-10-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Swartz View Post
Not even close on the names.

Click here for the new product names

Select the CoCreate tab.
This renaming is another brilliant Marketing move that will likely join New Coke in textbook chapters on "what not to do".

Ironic that PTC did not learn anything from CoCreate's renaming of SolidDesigner and ME10 when they rolled out their "OneSpace" suite. A change that didn't accomplish anything except annoying their existing customers and confusing potential new customers. Not so bad for a product that was not so well known, but to eliminate a name as recognized as Pro/ENGINEER seems like a big mistake.

I created a web page for our users in an attempt to reduce the confusion caused by the ongoing renaming of CoCreate the products (see attached). Now I can add "Creo Elements/Direct Modeling" to the list. Now there's a name that is easy to remember and type repeatedly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CoCreate Product Name History.pdf (12.4 KB, 595 views)
Old 11-12-2010, 06:52 AM

That's awesome! Thanks John. I was going to try to develop that list in my post, but knew I would miss some steps.