CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Modeling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2023, 01:03 AM

Structure browser dark theme - Creo Elements/Direct modeling 20.5.1.0

Hello there,

I would like to ask if its possible to change structure browser of Creo Elements/Direct modeling(20.5.1.0) to different color please. It is very eye tyring if used on daily 8-10 hours basis.

I have managed to change Ribbon UI with command: (uib::win-set-skin-style :black). I tried to look through Creo files but couldn't really find clue for structure browser. I tried to make LISP macros but i am not very familiar with it.

This background of structure browser:

I am willing to pay for this information or code.

Thank you very much!
Old 08-01-2023, 07:29 AM

Arrow Re: Structure browser dark theme - Creo Elements/Direct modeling 20.5.1.0

I hardly can remember that I tweaked a lot of colors in my Modeling for test purposes (15++) years ago. But this was on W2K. So I changed the colors with windows capabilities of that time.

By introducing W10 Microsoft cut off a lot of the details customization things (e.g. the thickness of the border of a window, which is just one pixel today) .. I fear latest with these Microsoft step Modeling relays totally on some windows UI settings and their fallbacks.

I know about some LISP variables which have been working fine with the MOTIF -UI, but those did not show any change at all (and those were not valid of the structure browser at all)

Have you searched in PTC's knowledge base ( or "eSupport" ) to look for this issue?

BTW: if talking about the dark mode, it is not just the structure browser, it is also the command line as well as any input fields. May be display tables are an issue as well.
Old 08-01-2023, 07:42 AM

Re: Structure browser dark theme - Creo Elements/Direct modeling 20.5.1.0

All the Color options under "File ➜ Settings ➜ Color ... " do apply to things displayed in the view port.
Old 08-01-2023, 08:42 AM

this is what I was able to accomplish with a little LISP coding.

Does it help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sd_dark_theme_browser.png
Views:	1250
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	2028  
Old 08-07-2023, 02:43 AM

Thank you very much for your answers! It was getting pretty lonely here

I have searched everything i could, even in german forum etc but could not find really a solution, generaly its hard to find any information regarding Creo elements, starting to think that only few german companies use this software

But back to topic, again thank you very much, but i would really rather keep the text as it is just change the background of structure browser.

Something like this bad picture:

But if you could send me ur LISP function please, its definitly better than staring at pure white background. I have tried to google some stuff regarding LISP, even use Chat GPT as last resort but its hard to find any documentation. Thank you

//Edit: And yes I know i cannot change everything to dark, like Model manager is white or popup windows etc but its not as big issue as is structure browser, since in my work i use structure browser 90% of time, my eyes hurts

Thank you very much again
Old 08-08-2023, 06:31 AM

Lightbulb Re: Structure browser dark theme - Creo Elements/Direct modeling 20.5.1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poper21 View Post
Thank you very much for your answers! It was getting pretty lonely here
Not completely , not completely lonely !!

Quote:
generaly its hard to find any information regarding Creo elements, starting to think that only few german companies use this software
CoCreate's Software wasn't that common outside of Europe. But we had customers all over the world. ... until PTC occupied CoCreate and tried to kill Modeling++ (back in year 2008, if your are little younger)

BTW: recently there has been a 'Branchentreffen' here in the south of Germany. It was much bigger than I assumed. Around 40 companies have been present and many of them with 'CoCreate' background. Some of those do have 200.. 250 Modeling licenses in USE! ➜ The CoCreate Software isn't dead!

Quote:
But back to topic, again thank you very much
Look what I have figured out in addition:

WE can TWEAK almost all the images (BMPs) used within the structure browser. I did so replacing white by grey. A Pity: I wasn't able (yet) to do this change in my User Customization Dir only. So I had to patch the Program installation directory. There are 460 files to be changed.

To make it easier I would like to ask you for the colors you like to use. I gonna adjust the LISP and the images. And then will upload those (to osd.cad.de)

Code:
(defparameter sd-dark-theme-browser-colors 
  `(:text "#000000" ; "#EEEEFF" 
    :border "#A1A1A1" 
    :current-border "#55DD55"  ;; should be the color which can be customized via UI! I did not find the correct inq-function :-\
    ))
Let me know your preferred personal values for those 3.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sd_dark_theme_browser_withicons.png
Views:	1215
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	2030  
Old 08-08-2023, 10:27 AM

I hope it is not dead. This is the best design software I have ever used. I have been in it since 1999.

Creo Elements/Direct 20.1
Dell Precision 3581
https://www.o-i.com
Old 08-09-2023, 06:54 AM

Wink Re: Structure browser dark theme - Creo Elements/Direct modeling 20.5.1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom kirkman View Post
I hope it is not dead.....
It saves me a total mind change.. until being retired. 😃
Old 08-20-2023, 11:20 PM

Sorry for late reply, I was on holidays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
BTW: recently there has been a 'Branchentreffen' here in the south of Germany. It was much bigger than I assumed. Around 40 companies have been present and many of them with 'CoCreate' background. Some of those do have 200.. 250 Modeling licenses in USE! ➜ The CoCreate Software isn't dead!
Sounds great! I always assumed those companies chose Cocreate because they work with big amount of data, and Creo Elements is good(i guess because its "simplicity"?) to easily load and save those data(especialy few years ago when servers and internet wasnt as good).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Look what I have figured out in addition:

WE can TWEAK almost all the images (BMPs) used within the structure browser. I did so replacing white by grey. A Pity: I wasn't able (yet) to do this change in my User Customization Dir only. So I had to patch the Program installation directory. There are 460 files to be changed.

To make it easier I would like to ask you for the colors you like to use. I gonna adjust the LISP and the images. And then will upload those (to osd.cad.de)

Code:
(defparameter sd-dark-theme-browser-colors 
  `(:text "#000000" ; "#EEEEFF" 
    :border "#A1A1A1" 
    :current-border "#55DD55"  ;; should be the color which can be customized via UI! I did not find the correct inq-function :-\
    ))
Let me know your preferred personal values for those 3.
Looks great, wasn't sure which 3 you meant, but i am loving the grey color you chose+green highlighted Oh ye I didnt think it would actually be done with changing BMP images I tried to look for background BMP aswell and found .xbm files, will try to convert few(like empty.xbm) to bmp change picture and convert back to .xbm and maybe something happens?

BTW:
Is there way i can tip you some coffe? I guess you are from germany than maybe some beer?
Old 08-22-2023, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Sorry for late reply, I was on holidays
It was my assumption already. Hope you had great time relaxing (or adventure or culture or ... )
Quote:
Looks great, wasn't sure which 3 you meant, but i am loving the grey color you chose+green highlighted Oh ye I didnt think it would actually be done with changing BMP images I tried to look for background BMP aswell and found .xbm files, will try to convert few.
There is no need for the xbms and there is no need to do it manually! I am using a batch file and command line utilities installed as part of OSDM.
Quote:
Is there way i can tip you some coffee? I guess you are from Germany than maybe some beer?
Germany, correct. Coffee ☕ is okay. No need for beer. 🚫 🍺 . and even more no beer at 30+°C / 96°F. I would be dizzy in seconds. 🥴
Old 09-04-2023, 05:45 AM

It's done.

Download http://osd.cad.de/downloads/sd_dark_theme_browser.zip follow the instruction in the TXT file and give me some feedback.

a) everything working as expected?
b) documentation need to be adapted?

Current description:
----------------------------------------------

Structure Browser and 'Dark Theme'
  • with friendly permission of der_Wolfgang@forum@cad.de • Source

The DARK theme is not supported by PTC on the modeling side.

With the tool provided more color settings are added.

You'll find the settings via: "File" ➜ "Settings" ➜ "Color" and then scroll down to "Structure browser".
Changes will be reflected immediately.

The browser images are changed using an automatically executed batch file.

The modified BMP files must be copied from the User Cust Dir to the Modeling Install Dir. (sorry for that)
The exact paths are displayed to your convience (copy + paste). Do the copy with admin rights.
Afterwards the colors will be visible when Modeling is restarted.

I named the tool dark_theme, but it could be anything, because I made the three custom color settings persistent using the well-known default settings browser.

To install:
  • download the ZIP file sd_dark_theme_browser.zip
  • extract the ZIP file to a directory of your choice (batch and LISP file must be in the same directory)
  • load the sd_dark_theme_browser_settings.lsp file (e.g. from your sd_customize file)
  • go to the the settings via: "File" ➜ "Settings" ➜ "Color" and then scroll down to "Structure browser".

The default values for the color theme of the Structure Browser are those of SolidDesigner OOTB == black on white with green for the active elements.
  • The Structure Browser was the target of this tool.
  • Other browsers may be slightly affected.
  • Other browsers can be customized using the same concept.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sd_dark_theme_browser.png
Views:	340
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	2031  
Old 09-08-2023, 02:46 AM

Hello there!

Sorry again for bit later reply, was on more holiday + some urgent tasks at work.

The theme works great! Cant believe you actually added adjustable settings within the menu, awesome! Thank you very very much!

However:
1. I would add to documentation how to load Lisp for people that have no clue whats lisp and how to load it

2. Maybe possibility to add it to annotation structure browser? Even tho rarely in annotation we have so many "objects/views" (like in 3D modeling section) that would cover even half of the structure browser. Just a thought.

3. Maybe people(me included) will run to issue that they cannot copy the bmps(execute the batch file) to C/Program Files because its locked by IT of their company policies. It can be solved with requests ofc etc but just letting you know.

4.This is more of question but - Is there any way in future that the actuall background of structure will be changable? Like if actuall developrs of Creo Elements do it or is there 0 chance you think? I think its normal thing in any nowadays softwares, i am just curious.

Thank you very much again, can i send you coffe tip somewhere?
Old 09-10-2023, 01:19 AM

Quote:
The theme works great!
I am glad to hear
Quote:
Cant believe you actually added adjustable settings within the menu, awesome!
It is that easy to do with the settings browser. Add an entry for a setting and function what to do with the new value and you get nice UI.

Quote:
1. I would add to documentation how to load Lisp for people that have no clue whats lisp and how to load it
No! -- there is already documentation about it: http://osd.cad.de/anleitungen_01.htm (use an online translator of your choice, and you will see it is number "01" . the very first one).

Quote:
2. Maybe possibility to add it to annotation structure browser?
I was aware of this question coming up, but I stopped spending time. May be if my employer likes the tool, too 😏

Quote:
3. Maybe people will run to issue that they cannot copy the bmps to C/Program Files because its locked by IT
I am aware of this, and I am rather disappointed that the Structure Browser does not follow Modeling's concept of how to find (customized) files. I first had these customized BMPs in the USERCUSTDIR. But those bmps would not load! Therefore the current workaround to copy them to %PROGRAMFILES%. Believe me: I am not amused 😖.

If I stumble about a way to change it, i will remember this thread.

Quote:
4.This is more of question but - Is there any way in future that the actual background of structure will be changable?
No chance PTC will do that IMHO.

Quote:
can i send you coffe tip somewhere?
🍮🍮🍮🍮🍮🍮🍮 Spend some good money on an NGO of your choice. Or to Morocco, where there was a major earthquake this week.

┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉

When ugly autumn weather is starting and daytime is shorter I will create a real article on http://osd.cad.de/index.en.htm with this topic.