CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Modeling Personal Edition

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 04:55 AM

Extrude dxf drawing

How do I extrude a .dxf drawing after loading?. I am a new user and have not found the answer in HELP.

Thanks
Bob
Old 05-22-2008, 08:53 AM

Re: Extrude dxf drawing

2D profiles imported via DXF are extruded just like any other profile, and the same restrictions apply. In particular, the profile contour must be closed and without any intersections.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:11 AM

If you go to:
http://ptc.com/products/cocreate/modeling

At the bottom there is a webinar called "Webinar: Getting Started with CoCreate Modeling PE, Part 1" and also part 2.

You should watch both of these because in one of them we do exactly what you are asking about.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator

You need to get the DXF drawing into a Modeling work plane. In order to be used for machining operations it must be closed, non-intersecting profiles. To extrude you can use the Machine menu or right click on the work plane border and select Extrude.

You cannot load a DXF file directly into a Modeling work plane. The attached PDF describes how you can get the DXF geometry into a work plane.

Just so you know, there is also a different forum dedicated to the Personal Edition which is hosted by CoCreate. You may want to check it out as well.

http://apps.cocreate.com/OneSpaceModelingPE/secure/Forum/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Import_DXF_Into_Modeling.pdf (16.1 KB, 1684 views)
Old 05-22-2008, 09:23 AM

Thanks for your help Guy's
Old 05-22-2008, 04:04 PM

I have tried all, nothing works. When I try to go to the Webinar I am told I need an account, but there is no place to register. CoCreate's home page is one of the most difficult I have ever seen.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:47 PM

Bob,

our web site has been integrated into the main PTC web site just recently, and so some pages may indeed be harder to find than previously. Sorry for this; I'll forward your observations internally to make sure that the "missing links" are added again.

In the meantime, if you could tell us which steps exactly you already tried, I'm sure somebody will be able to help. And as John already mentioned, the specialized Modeling PE forum at http://apps.cocreate.com/OneSpaceModelingPE/secure/Forum/ is also a great resource. We've had several discussions about DXF imports there already.

Claus

PS: Discussion continued at http://apps.cocreate.com/OneSpaceMod...&posts=8#M1203

Last edited by clausb; 05-23-2008 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:50 AM

Thumbs up Re: Extrude dxf drawing

To watch a Webinar... yes, you need to register. You only have to do it once, unless you delete your internet cookies.

If this is your first time watching a CoCreate Webinar, the Web page should look like this.
Click image for larger version

Name:	register.png
Views:	604
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1230

The two Webinars that Gary mentioned are...

CoCreate Modeling PE - Part 1
http://www.cocreate.com/learn/2007_Getting_Started_PE1.aspx

CoCreate Modeling PE - Part 2
http://www.cocreate.com/learn/2007_Getting_Started_PE2.aspx

And just as an FYI - CoCreate products are now on the PTC.com Web site.
- Homepage www.ptc.com
- CoCreate product family page www.ptc.com/products/cocreate
Old 05-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Bob View Post
I have tried all, nothing works.
Can you expand on "nothing works"? I attached a PDF file containing detailed instructions that should work. What did you try and what happened? At which step does the process fail to work as described? Do you get any error messages?
Old 05-23-2008, 03:18 PM

John, I was a little frustrated when I posted that statement. I can load a dxf file and copy it, but can't paste it in modeling. I did get an error message stating that I needed uncompress.exe in the binNT folder. I downloaded it and copied it to that folder. The dxf file was a little complex so I tried a simple rectangle, still wouldn't work. The file was created in Corel Draw, exported in dxf format. This cdr to dxf by Draw might be the problem. I am going to try saveing the file to .mi and see what happens.

Thanks
Bob
Old 05-24-2008, 01:57 PM

John, I have downloaded your instructions. I can set the units but the other options are not there. There is no Setup,Edit Environment, System..., or set filter to either AutoDesk etc. None of these options are available. Under edit I can access setting, but can't find anything like your instructions. Are you working in a different version?.

Bob
Old 05-25-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
John, I have downloaded your instructions. I can set the units but the other options are not there. There is no Setup,Edit Environment, System...
In John's document, the references to "Setup, Edit..." are in the "Loading the DXF/DWG file into Drafting" (i.e. CoCreate Drafting) section. However, you need to look at the instructions under "Loading the DXF/DWG into Annotation".

Hope this helps,

Claus
Old 05-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausb View Post
In John's document, the references to "Setup, Edit..." are in the "Loading the DXF/DWG file into Drafting" (i.e. CoCreate Drafting) section. However, you need to look at the instructions under "Loading the DXF/DWG into Annotation".
Sorry for the confusion. The PDF file is a printout of a web page that I created for our users, some of whom use Drafting as well as Modeling. For working with 2D (such as imported DXF), Drafting still has some advantages over Annotation.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:33 AM

Quote:
I have tried all, nothing works. When I try to go to the Webinar I am told I need an account, but there is no place to register. CoCreate's home page is one of the most difficult I have ever seen.

Note that in that section of the web page that tells you that you need to either register or login, both of those words are a different color than the rest of the sentence.

That is because they are links.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Swartz View Post
... that you need to either register or login, both of those words are a different color than the rest of the sentence.
In normal text we are use to find links below different-colored text. But here it is warning/error box and it is NOT obvious that these 2 words are links! Not well done. a bottom line in this box with
_____-> register__________-> sign in_____
as it is done in the top navigation bar would make it much more clear.