CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Modeling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Problems with AMD FirePro M6000

One of our engineers just got a Dell M6700 laptop with AMD FirePro M6000 Mobility Pro Graphics. It mostly works fine but he discovered some issues running Modeling v17 M020 under 64 bit Windows 7.
  • Fly-by highlighting of faces does not work. Highlighting of edges does work.
  • Highlighting of a selected workplane does not work.
  • The CoPilot components (arrows, axes etc) display as wireframe instead of solid.
I checked all the Modeling settings I could think of and they seem to be the installation default. The same install package works fine on other computers running 64-bit Windows 7.

I suspect the problem is related to the graphics chip or driver. We tried installing the latest drivers from the Dell web site but it did not fix the problems. There are no drivers on the AMD web site. There don't seem to be a lot of settings to try in the Catalyst Control Panel and none of them sounded promising. I'm out of ideas.

Anyone have any suggestions (besides buy nVIDIA next time )?
Old 09-10-2012, 12:34 PM

Re: Problems with AMD FirePro M6000

John,
Try the switch to remove graphics exceleration. If you're not sure of that, call support. If that fixes the problem, then it is the card/driver. If it still persists, then call support.
G.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Banned

Generally I don't like this, but it did work. I had issues just installing the 12.8 drivers directly.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Administrator

To follow up on this. Switching to software graphics as Gary suggested worked fine, so it probably was a graphics driver or hardware issue. In addition to the Modeling problems, the laptop began posting graphics related error messages from Windows even when he was not running Modeling. So maybe it was a hardware defect. He is returning it to Dell and will try the same laptop with NVIDIA this time.