CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Modeling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 02:24 PM

Revisited: the file "" was not found (Error 337)

Recently, I came across this error while fixing a rather large assembly. No data would load into Modeling at all.

Upon finding this solution in the archive part of the forums, I gave it a try in Co-Create 2007 Modeling. Guess what. It still works!
http://www.cocreateusers.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-3413.html

By Johannes Schramm
"... you are trying to load an assembly consisting of several part-files. One of them somehow disappeared from your directory and cannot be found. You can load the assembly anyway if you enter the following command in the SD command-line: (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T) Then you can load your assembly. After loading you should enter: (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES NIL) to switch off that mode again. In 99 % of our cases of this error, that worked."

There is one KEY part left to getting the "missing" file back into the assembly. If the data still exists and is located in another directory/folder, then load that file FIRST and then the assembly. When the assembly is loaded, you will not need to move it under the assembly since Co-Create will update the missing component path to the one already there.

Somehow, Co-Create will recognize the lost location and "fixes" the directory path to the file. Next, delete out of the Structure Browser the first loaded file. This will then removed the triple dominoes (not sure what that icon is called).

Save your assembly file. When you reload the assembly, everything will be in the right place. error 377 will be no more.

Note: the SD command line is located in the lower left corner usually in Co-Create.

Jason: "How much does it pay?"
Citizen: "Well, none of our other sheriffs ever lived long enough to find out."

Co-Create 2007 (15.50G)
ANSYS Workbench 14
SolidWorks 2011
UGNX-7.5 / TeamCenter UA 8
PADS 2000
Applicon Bravo
Autotrol
CADAM
Pro/E
Old 04-21-2009, 11:07 AM

Re: Revisited: the file "" was not found (Error 337)

I made a test just for curiosity.
I created 1 assembly containing 2 different parts. After saving, I renamed the file of one part, typed (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T) and reloaded the assembly : on Modeling 2008, this command does not work.

Gérard
Old 04-21-2009, 12:41 PM

This was always meant as a last resort to salvage data, but too often the command ended up in sd_customize files, making :allow-missing-files the default load mode. As a result, more and more incidents of data loss were reported which occurred after loading with the option and then saving back without properly fixing the missing file situation on the disk.

To prevent further damage, we had to (partially) disable the :allow-missing-files option in v16. Please contact PTC support for more information.

Claus
Old 04-21-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
From the Modeling 2007 version 15.50 Release Notes: The hidden switch that allows to load incomplete assembly models will be password protected from CoCreate Modeling 2008 onwards. Licenses can explicitly be requested from CoCreate Support.
The licenses are listed as "Modeling Filing Switches".
I have never issued one of these licenses, but they are available. This is a temporary license good for two weeks only. This licensing schema was implemented because there were customers adding this switch to their sd_customize file, and were loading assemblies with missing parts and not resolving the issue.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:38 AM

Exclamation Re: Revisited: the file "" was not found (Error 337)

Knowing that the fix will be a "temporary license good for two weeks only", our IT & management has address this issue to no longer upgrade beyond 15.50 and allow the license to expire by years end.

Our database holds well over 54,000 CAD files; many going back to ME10 and early CoCreate. Without the ability to retrieve the geometry, it forces us to migrate to SolidWorks even sooner.

Over the years, the previous people didn't know how to setup our CAD data storage structure. They had copied a structure once used by a sibling company in Germany. It's a mess of directories going 5 or 6 layers deep in many instances. Each component sits at the bottom while the sub-assemblies sit in the middle and the main assembly at the higher or top of the drive. It's an intermingled tangled web having cross-over and shared parts all over the drive.

With this whacky layed structure, if any component file gets re-named, saved wrong, or a drive link goes bad, we have no idea how to fix the problem to retrieve the remainding good data. The (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T) was our only hope. We then made the repairs and moved forward.

I can understand having that command located in the sd_customize file. However, one would never know if there was a problem to begin with. Usually, on a trouble part, the Error 337 apprears and I would open up Wordpad, cut and past the command into the Cocreate and retry.

Too bad there wasn't an option on the pop up Load menu to check a box with wording that said something about bad or troubled parts/assemblies. Then that box would always default to a blank box every time the Load menu would be used. This way, people would keep it mostly off until a problem arrived.

Working within a two week window on a rotational basis and purchasing a license to do so would kill our IT budget.

Sorry CoCreate, but no thanks.

Co-Create 2007 (15.50G)
ANSYS Workbench 14
SolidWorks 2011
PADS 2000
Applicon Bravo
Autotrol
CADAM
Pro/E

Last edited by BMaverick; 06-16-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:13 AM

I don't work in the support group, but I'd be surprised if you actually had to purchase the license - you only have to get it from PTC support. And if you talk to our support folks and describe your situation, I'm sure they can work out something for you.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:36 AM

One thing I do notice with the (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T) is that it works for the entire session while CoCreate is running once it's envoked.

That in itself can be a dangerous thing since opening up other files that may have the error 337 and not know a problem exists in those files.

If there can be a way to check mark a box to execute the command (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T) on the load menu when the file loads and then have a command behind the scene there after the loading happens like (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :DISALLOW-MISSING-FILES T). It may solve confussion and overlooked problems. This way only the selected loaded file will get the option to load vs. all files in one CoCreate session.

Not sure how this would be programed into CoCreate, but it would help the users and the support people too.

Just a thought vs. having a two week window license to handle trouble parts and assemblies that could still have overlooked problems during a session with the ALLOW option turned on.

OK, if I did have this two week window license, is there a way to toggle it on and off? I would only want to have it on if and when Error 337 popped up. And then to turn it off after the load. If it can not be toggled, trouble can still be brewing for end user part files.

Co-Create 2007 (15.50G)
ANSYS Workbench 14
SolidWorks 2011
PADS 2000
Applicon Bravo
Autotrol
CADAM
Pro/E
Old 06-16-2009, 07:54 AM

Well, I guess you could put a simple toggle command behind an icon in the toolbar.

My knowledge about this option is limited - all I know is should be used sparingly, and only after an analysis of the issue at hand. If you're on support, I'd really recommend to get in touch with your support contact; I'm sure they can help you with tools and advice.

Claus
Old 06-16-2009, 09:05 AM

Exclamation Re: Revisited: the file "" was not found (Error 337)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Leclercq View Post
I made a test just for curiosity.
I created 1 assembly containing 2 different parts. After saving, I renamed the file of one part, typed (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T) and reloaded the assembly : on Modeling 2008, this command does not work.
Gérard
Starting with Modeling 2008, (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T)
has a return value to allow programmers to check the success of the activation.
If the return value is :ERROR, then the switch will not be active.

Typically, programmers/customizers just put a line like the following into their sd_customize file:
(CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T)
This piece of code discards the return value. In order to minimize the impact on existing
custom code, we conciously decided *not* to throw an exception.
When you do not have a license, the above call is like a no-op (it does nothing).
So if you do not have any error-337 case, you will not even notice that the switch
is actually not active. If you have an error-337 case, you will see the error-337 case.
Is this what you describe as "this command does not work"?

Last edited by maku; 06-16-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:29 AM

Smile Re: Revisited: the file "" was not found (Error 337)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaverick View Post
One thing I do notice with the (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T) is that it works for the entire session while CoCreate is running once it's envoked.

That in itself can be a dangerous thing since opening up other files that may have the error 337 and not know a problem exists in those files.

If there can be a way to check mark a box to execute the command (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T) on the load menu when the file loads and then have a command behind the scene there after the loading happens like (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :DISALLOW-MISSING-FILES T). It may solve confussion and overlooked problems. This way only the selected loaded file will get the option to load vs. all files in one CoCreate session.

Not sure how this would be programed into CoCreate, but it would help the users and the support people too.

Just a thought vs. having a two week window license to handle trouble parts and assemblies that could still have overlooked problems during a session with the ALLOW option turned on.

OK, if I did have this two week window license, is there a way to toggle it on and off? I would only want to have it on if and when Error 337 popped up. And then to turn it off after the load. If it can not be toggled, trouble can still be brewing for end user part files.
Switching off the "dangerous" switch is done by:
(CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES nil)
So everything is there to use this switch just for the situation
when it is really needed. (You do not have to end the session)

Generating licenses for two weeks is the "standard procedure"
of PTC support for "emergency situations". The intent behind this
is to allow up to two weeks to investigate and identify any kind
of problem related to licensing.
If you have a reasonable need for longer lasting licenses,
open a call with PTC Tech Support and explain your request.
You will then get in touch with a manager who is empowered
to generate longer lasting licenses. This manager will ask you
some questions to understand why you need the switch.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:00 PM

Smile Re: Revisited: the file "" was not found (Error 337)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausb View Post
I don't work in the support group, but I'd be surprised if you actually had to purchase the license - you only have to get it from PTC support. And if you talk to our support folks and describe your situation, I'm sure they can work out something for you.
Confirmed by Tech Support Manager.
Call us and we are in touch with you.
Please see other posts by "maku".
Old 06-16-2009, 07:18 PM

Maku, seems that using the license path will still cause a blind eye beyond the first file that is an error 337 type. If another file during that session is loaded that has the famous error 337, it will not be readily known to the user. Thus, the license path is still a bad solution to offer.

To avoid the license path solution we will stay at release 15.50 during the support contract and then indefinitely thereafter. Our company has to much at stake to be locked out of the CAD files due to a hick-up error like -337. Due to legality, product liability and federal requirements, we can not be held to limitations during support and after support for the legacy data we have.

For our company, I'm writing up a procedure on how to execute a successful method to turn on the ALLOW and to NIL once the data is loaded.

Thank you.

Co-Create 2007 (15.50G)
ANSYS Workbench 14
SolidWorks 2011
PADS 2000
Applicon Bravo
Autotrol
CADAM
Pro/E
Old 06-16-2009, 11:30 PM

Just a question for Tech Support:

Having to call for a license is a p.i.t.a. because you cannot continue and have to wait for a license. And of course such things happen when support is closed for a holiday or something like that. Why didn't you just implement disabling the 'allow missing files' after every macro load? You control when macro's are loaded so you have control over this. You could also add an OK message when the command is executed in order to notify the user. This will also discourage putting it in the startup script.

I don't get it why ptc chose the license route.

Regards,

Marten Verhoeven
Old 06-17-2009, 06:13 AM

Some customers were running Modeling in allow-missing-files mode permanently, and as a result sometimes damaged even more of their data. So we learned the hard way that the original, semi-permanent allow-missing-files mode probably wasn't the best idea, and that we needed to change the way it works.

We wanted to make sure that customers who need this mode are aware that it is meant to be used in special circumstances only. We also wanted to make sure that whenever customers run into "missing files" issues and need the allow-missing-files mode, they receive help and advice on fixing whatever filing issues they have, and get all the information they need to be aware of when operating in this mode.

The license process is a vehicle to achieve those goals. Whether it is the best delivery option, is up for debate - I just wanted you to know that those changes were implemented in an attempt to help users, not to punish or annoy them. Feedback is certainly welcome.

Claus

PS: That said, I should repeat that I don't work in the support group, so please take whatever I say with a boatload of salt.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:32 AM

Hi Claus,

I know this is done in the best interest of the users in mind. I just think there are ways you can protect users against unintended use AND not annoy them.

The thing is: things like that always happen on a moment you cannot use it (Murphy again), and you need to fix it asap. When you cannot resolve it yourselves and have to rely on others to allow you to fix the problem that really is annoying. As I am someone who can get in such a situation I don't like to see a tool like that (which I have used before) get out of my control.

With kind regards,

Marten Verhoeven

Tags
2007, 377, error, error 337, error 377