CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Modeling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 08:08 AM

Exclamation Re: Revisited: the file "" was not found (Error 337)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marten View Post
Hi Claus,

I know this is done in the best interest of the users in mind. I just think there are ways you can protect users against unintended use AND not annoy them.

Marten Verhoeven
Marten, you said it clear and in plain English.

Yes, it would be a literal PITA if our company had to call support on Saturday or on off hours to envoke a work around license for the data we had made in CoCreate. Having this Error -337 in the makes CoCreate seem a little unstable overall when the files were originally saved with the software in the first place. Sure, things can get renamed, relocated on the hard drive and what not, but to limit the usage of the tools needed like (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T) and (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES NIL) is insane for the end user to do their job.

Doing our job these days with downsized companies, leaner (smaller) engineering staff, working globally, and running on extremely tight customer deadlines, having the CAD system become a sudden stop of work due to Error -337 would cost compaines several figures of down time per day on any given job.

And what if the service contract expired, would that Error -337 license fix from PTC be holding the company hostage to their own data to pay up ???

This whole license thing seems absurd vs. just to disable the 'allow missing files' after every macro load.

As for customers running Modeling in allow-missing-files mode permanently in the sd_customize file, that is down right wrong as well. Turn that function off in the sd_customize file and still allow it to work via a load menu option. Once the part in question is loaded, then have the macro revert the CAD session back to the normal (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES NIL).

Again, even with the two week license, there is a chance of having the CoCreate session not listing other Error -337 problem files that will be loaded. This is a great danger like that of the user placing the (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T) in the sd_customize file to being with. This should not be the answer to allow other Error -337 files to go UN-NOTICED when the license is activated. Further corruption can still happen !!!

Truely, I hope that PTC/CoCreate will once again look into this with a better plan to help the end user overall. The command stuck in the sd_customize file and the license thing are both wrong, wrong, wrong as a solution.

With other CAD systems, loading a file with missing componet parts will generate errors stating the parts are missing and it would use a dummy (empty) part file inside of the assembly as a place holder. Also, that dummy part would have a different icon in the part browser too making the end user aware. Those CAD systems (SW, S-E, NX, C-V5 and the like ... ) would not stop an end user from working on the job nor calling support. If I had to explain the Cocreate issue of -337 to those other CAD support teams, there is no telling what type of humor would become of it.

So with that said, those CAD systems run like having (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T) turned on all the time. BUT they handle the problems in a much better way.

Knowing how CoCreate behaves, it would be ideal to have a button box to check (ALLOW) upon loading a file that is suseptable to the Error -337 problem. Once that file is loaded, Cocreate automatically reverts back to the NIL default. Thus, the end user would be warned that an Error -337 exists upon loading the next troubled file in the session. Each and every time a troubled file needs to be loaded the user would need to manually check box the option to load the file until that file gets fixed or resolved.
This needs to be available to the end user on a file by file basis. Not a license that opens things up for an entire two weeks or the entire running session of Cocreate.

Sorry, there is just too much at stake if upgrading to 16.00 or newer for my company to be side lined like that.

Our procedure is in place and will work as it is followed. Nobody will have the option to put the command into the sd_cusomtize file either.

Jason: "How much does it pay?"
Citizen: "Well, none of our other sheriffs ever lived long enough to find out."

Co-Create 2007 (15.50G)
ANSYS Workbench 14
SolidWorks 2011
UGNX-7.5 / TeamCenter UA 8
PADS 2000
Applicon Bravo
Autotrol
CADAM
Pro/E
Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 AM

Smile Re: Revisited: the file "" was not found (Error 337)

Quote:
Hi Claus,

I know this is done in the best interest of the users in mind. I just think there are ways you can protect users against unintended use AND not annoy them.

The thing is: things like that always happen on a moment you cannot use it (Murphy again), and you need to fix it asap. When you cannot resolve it yourselves and have to rely on others to allow you to fix the problem that really is annoying. As I am someone who can get in such a situation I don't like to see a tool like that (which I have used before) get out of my control.

With kind regards,

Marten Verhoeven
Hi Marten,

Almost nothing to be added to Claus' statement.
In fact we are closely working together since a million years (approx.)

With the license protection, we wanted to achieve several goals:
- Find cases where this switch is used (and learn why it is used)
- Limit the unneccesary usage of the switch
(by using the switch permanently, no errors are displayed to the user,
so the user has no idea that something is missing)
- Find customizations and/or applications using this switch
(we already found an application which implemented its own
partial load functionality by just omitting parts when a assembly
is loaded. Without protecting the switch we would have never
become aware of this application. After we knew it, we could
assist the company in writing a solution which doesn't need
the switch).

As Claus pointed out, it is not and it never was our intention to
punish any of our valuable users of our software. The opposite is true.
We want to provide any help/assistance to our users to have robust
and reliable data. All posts in this thread indicate that customers
have different kinds of problems with data (unloadable assemblies,
mess of files etc.). We want to know about these problems and
we are willing to provide assistance/consulting how to solve them.
I cannot give a general commitment that we will be able to fix all
problems, but you should at least give it a try to get in touch
with Tech Support.

I *can* commit that I am willing to provide a license for 1 year (!)
for enabling the switch to everyone who is asking for it.
This should enable everyone to move forward to version 16.0 and
beyond. In case of an error-337, just enable the functionality and
load the assembly which fails to load without the switch.

Just open a Support Call asking for the 1 years license and there
will be a high probability that you will get in touch with the
"inventor of the SYSID" ....

Best regards,

Max

Last edited by maku; 06-17-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:13 AM

Exclamation Re: Revisited: the file "" was not found (Error 337)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaverick View Post
Marten, you said it clear and in plain English.

Yes, it would be a literal PITA if our company had to call support on Saturday or on off hours to envoke a work around license for the data we had made in CoCreate. Having this Error -337 in the makes CoCreate seem a little unstable overall when the files were originally saved with the software in the first place. Sure, things can get renamed, relocated on the hard drive and what not, but to limit the usage of the tools needed like (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T) and (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES NIL) is insane for the end user to do their job.

Doing our job these days with downsized companies, leaner (smaller) engineering staff, working globally, and running on extremely tight customer deadlines, having the CAD system become a sudden stop of work due to Error -337 would cost compaines several figures of down time per day on any given job.

And what if the service contract expired, would that Error -337 license fix from PTC be holding the company hostage to their own data to pay up ???

This whole license thing seems absurd vs. just to disable the 'allow missing files' after every macro load.

As for customers running Modeling in allow-missing-files mode permanently in the sd_customize file, that is down right wrong as well. Turn that function off in the sd_customize file and still allow it to work via a load menu option. Once the part in question is loaded, then have the macro revert the CAD session back to the normal (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES NIL).

Again, even with the two week license, there is a chance of having the CoCreate session not listing other Error -337 problem files that will be loaded. This is a great danger like that of the user placing the (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T) in the sd_customize file to being with. This should not be the answer to allow other Error -337 files to go UN-NOTICED when the license is activated. Further corruption can still happen !!!

Truely, I hope that PTC/CoCreate will once again look into this with a better plan to help the end user overall. The command stuck in the sd_customize file and the license thing are both wrong, wrong, wrong as a solution.

With other CAD systems, loading a file with missing componet parts will generate errors stating the parts are missing and it would use a dummy (empty) part file inside of the assembly as a place holder. Also, that dummy part would have a different icon in the part browser too making the end user aware. Those CAD systems (SW, S-E, NX, C-V5 and the like ... ) would not stop an end user from working on the job nor calling support. If I had to explain the Cocreate issue of -337 to those other CAD support teams, there is no telling what type of humor would become of it.

So with that said, those CAD systems run like having (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T) turned on all the time. BUT they handle the problems in a much better way.

Knowing how CoCreate behaves, it would be ideal to have a button box to check (ALLOW) upon loading a file that is suseptable to the Error -337 problem. Once that file is loaded, Cocreate automatically reverts back to the NIL default. Thus, the end user would be warned that an Error -337 exists upon loading the next troubled file in the session. Each and every time a troubled file needs to be loaded the user would need to manually check box the option to load the file until that file gets fixed or resolved.
This needs to be available to the end user on a file by file basis. Not a license that opens things up for an entire two weeks or the entire running session of Cocreate.

Sorry, there is just too much at stake if upgrading to 16.00 or newer for my company to be side lined like that.

Our procedure is in place and will work as it is followed. Nobody will have the option to put the command into the sd_cusomtize file either.
The license does *not* switch on the functionality, it enables the
possibility to switch it on. Without a license, you cannot switch it
on any longer, but with a license, you can decide on a file by file
basis when you want to use
(CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T)

The license itself is just like any other license for CoCreate products.
The default of "two weeks" is appropriate for emergency situations,
when there is a problem which *sounds* like it has to do with licensing.
Every support engineer is empowered to generate licenses
for two weeks. This way me make sure that our customers can
continue to work with our Software while we have two weeks to
identify the root cause of the problem. As I pointed out in my
reply to Marten, I am willing to provide a longer lasting license.
The "cost" for this is that you open a Support Call and give me
a chance to understand the problem(s) you are having.
My goal is to understand and fix the root cause of error-337 cases,
thus making (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T)
something which is only needed once per week or so.

Best regards,

Max
Old 06-18-2009, 12:21 AM

Re: Revisited: the file "" was not found (Error 337)

Hi Max,

Good to know support is reading too.

I can understand that you would like to do this, but I think you should always keep in mind that having to wait for support in these situations (which basically stop production immediately) is a big deal. Even when it doesn't occur often. If you want to discourage the use of the tool, and want to know about it you could also just ask:

- Make it harder to use the switch (auto off, no load at startup, popups at enabling, etc).
- Notify users: warn when a load while a file was missing was performed.
- Ask for contact with support. You could display a screen to ask if it's ok to upload data to support, or allow for easy passing of information to support, or something like that. Make it clear you really need the information to improve.

Implementing these kind of enhancements will allow users to resolve situations quickly and give you more feedback. You will not hear about all cases, but I'm sure that if implemented correctly you will definitely receive information. Being able to continue working should be more important in my opinion, because you still can work on preventing the situation in the first place.

By the way, I haven't needed the switch often. In over 4 years of using modeling maybe 3 times. So in that regard it isn't a big deal. It's more about the mindset: allowing the users to resolve issues on their own if they are technically capable of doing it.

One note for BMaverick: I would definitely switch to 16 even with the 2 weeks licensing thing. It will prevent a lot of support calls and will cause less downtime for your users. You will save more time than the time the licensing might cause, I am sure of that. We use 16 quite some time know (we switched pretty fast after it came out) and I can say it is MUCH more stable than 15 and 15.5. It made a really big difference in time to support users. And as I didn't know about the changes to the tool until I read this thread: we didn't need it so far since using 16 (don't know if there is a direct relation:-)).

So, I hope CoCreate/PTC will think about support independence and find another way to get information to locate problems and improve the product.
And Max, it is good to know you are taking data integrity and reliability seriously and are really trying to make it rock solid. No questions about intention.

With kind regards,

Marten Verhoeven
Old 06-18-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Hi Max,

Good to know support is reading too.

I can understand that you would like to do this, but I think you should always keep in mind that having to wait for support in these situations (which basically stop production immediately) is a big deal. Even when it doesn't occur often. If you want to discourage the use of the tool, and want to know about it you could also just ask:

- Make it harder to use the switch (auto off, no load at startup, popups at enabling, etc).
- Notify users: warn when a load while a file was missing was performed.
- Ask for contact with support. You could display a screen to ask if it's ok to upload data to support, or allow for easy passing of information to support, or something like that. Make it clear you really need the information to improve.

Implementing these kind of enhancements will allow users to resolve situations quickly and give you more feedback. You will not hear about all cases, but I'm sure that if implemented correctly you will definitely receive information. Being able to continue working should be more important in my opinion, because you still can work on preventing the situation in the first place.

By the way, I haven't needed the switch often. In over 4 years of using modeling maybe 3 times. So in that regard it isn't a big deal. It's more about the mindset: allowing the users to resolve issues on their own if they are technically capable of doing it.

One note for BMaverick: I would definitely switch to 16 even with the 2 weeks licensing thing. It will prevent a lot of support calls and will cause less downtime for your users. You will save more time than the time the licensing might cause, I am sure of that. We use 16 quite some time know (we switched pretty fast after it came out) and I can say it is MUCH more stable than 15 and 15.5. It made a really big difference in time to support users. And as I didn't know about the changes to the tool until I read this thread: we didn't need it so far since using 16 (don't know if there is a direct relation:-)).

So, I hope CoCreate/PTC will think about support independence and find another way to get information to locate problems and improve the product.
And Max, it is good to know you are taking data integrity and reliability seriously and are really trying to make it rock solid. No questions about intention.

With kind regards,

Marten Verhoeven
Hi Marten,

Good to hear that you needed this switch only 3 times in 4 years.
This means you and your team of engineers are the ideal target
for limited usage of this switch. It seems however, that my idea
and my offering has not yet come across yet.
I am willing to give you a single license for the switch with a lifetime
of one year (at least). Once you have this license, you are totally
independent from support "open times", which are 24x5 by the way.
With the license you can enable and use the switch any time you
need it. How does this sound?
At least for a timeframe of 1 year, this should completely solve
*your* issue with the protected switch. Have I overlooked something?

Best regards,

Max
Old 06-18-2009, 03:31 AM

Hi Max,

Yes, your offering came across, and I would like a license to make sure I can use it when I need to. And if this solution gets used more often I would like to automatically get those licenses in order to prevent getting in a situation as discussed before .

24/5 is quite long for opening hours. However: we receive support from a VAR, which doesn't have those opening hours. When you don't know you have to get a license in order to use the tool you just have to wait for the VAR support and you don't go directly to CoCreate for a license. Now I know this. If I didn't (which could easily happen when I didn't happen to read this thread) and I would encounter such a situation I wouldn't be happy finding out I now suddenly need to request a license.

With kind regards,

Marten Verhoeven
Old 06-18-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maku View Post
All posts in this thread indicate that customers
have different kinds of problems with data (unloadable assemblies,
mess of files etc.). We want to know about these problems and
we are willing to provide assistance/consulting how to solve them.
I cannot give a general commitment that we will be able to fix all
problems, but you should at least give it a try to get in touch
with Tech Support.
Maku, I have on a few attempts talked with support dealing with our mess of files. Their answer was not to support the way my company handles the data via the 5 to 6 sub directory nighmare structure as mentioned in an earlier posting here. It is a complicated mess to sort out along with a few data files located over a WAN with Europe too.

My sad undertaking is when the parent company closed down many of these other sites and relocated everything to one site here. Also, the people who generated the CoCreate/ME10 data are no longer with the company. So, this has been a blind experience for me to navigate through.

Quote:
My goal is to understand and fix the root cause of error-337 cases,
thus making (CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES T)
something which is only needed once per week or so.
There are only three CoCreate designers here. One who came from Catia, and the other two from SolidWorks who use it on a daily basis. I'm the heavy user. Error -337 turns up about three times per week. Some of it deals with the reloaction of CAD files from another server's hard drive, others because the data was saved while the people renamed the files in the Windows OS (just so dumb to do), some files were over written with other CAD data and let alone the multiple of duplicate files down each tree structured path. When I say "mess", it's an understatement.

If the Error -337 was a rare occurance like Marten's, I wouldn't hesitate going to V16.00 or better. However, this legacy data is still just as haunting not knowing the data stucture intention of those previous design teams.

Co-Create 2007 (15.50G)
ANSYS Workbench 14
SolidWorks 2011
PADS 2000
Applicon Bravo
Autotrol
CADAM
Pro/E
Old 06-18-2009, 05:57 AM

Stephan,
You have to remember that you are the exception and not the rule. Because your parent company opted to use the file system and manually naming models (which is now broken) instead of a data management system, you are up a creek without a paddle.

As Max said, call and request a long term license and we'll get it for you. Fifteen minutes a year is such a small annoyance that I don't understand why this has gotten to page two.

Gary.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Brauch View Post
Stephan,
You have to remember that you are the exception and not the rule. Because your parent company opted to use the file system and manually naming models (which is now broken) instead of a data management system, you are up a creek without a paddle.

As Max said, call and request a long term license and we'll get it for you. Fifteen minutes a year is such a small annoyance that I don't understand why this has gotten to page two.

Gary.
100 points!
I already logged a support call on behalf of Marten to create a one year
license for him. Logging a support call is not even a MUST, but I want to
have our activities documented somewhere in a system. Pleeaase believe
me - it was never our intention to punish or "educate" users.
We want to help, and we want to understand!

I understand that the mess of directories and network drives is a source
for error-337. In this case this is indeed an exception, and I do not need
long discussions with the customer to understand the problem.
Just let me verify with Marten that the basic "procedure" works,
then you will be the next to receive a license with a *very long* lifetime.

Hope this helps. Hope this de-escalates the situation.

Regards,

Max
Old 06-18-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Maku, I have on a few attempts talked with support dealing with our mess of files. Their answer was not to support the way my company handles the data via the 5 to 6 sub directory nighmare structure as mentioned in an earlier posting here. It is a complicated mess to sort out along with a few data files located over a WAN with Europe too.

My sad undertaking is when the parent company closed down many of these other sites and relocated everything to one site here. Also, the people who generated the CoCreate/ME10 data are no longer with the company. So, this has been a blind experience for me to navigate through.

There are only three CoCreate designers here. One who came from Catia, and the other two from SolidWorks who use it on a daily basis. I'm the heavy user. Error -337 turns up about three times per week. Some of it deals with the reloaction of CAD files from another server's hard drive, others because the data was saved while the people renamed the files in the Windows OS (just so dumb to do), some files were over written with other CAD data and let alone the multiple of duplicate files down each tree structured path. When I say "mess", it's an understatement.

If the Error -337 was a rare occurance like Marten's, I wouldn't hesitate going to V16.00 or better. However, this legacy data is still just as haunting not knowing the data stucture intention of those previous design teams.
Hi Sheriff,
Thinking beyond the "licensing problem" that we will have under control very soon....
How much 3D data are we talking about?
How many files?
How many MB or GB?
Marten noticed that I am taking data integrity and reliability seriously,
so I am committed to "have a look" at your situation.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Hi Max,

Yes, your offering came across, and I would like a license to make sure I can use it when I need to. And if this solution gets used more often I would like to automatically get those licenses in order to prevent getting in a situation as discussed before .

24/5 is quite long for opening hours. However: we receive support from a VAR, which doesn't have those opening hours. When you don't know you have to get a license in order to use the tool you just have to wait for the VAR support and you don't go directly to CoCreate for a license. Now I know this. If I didn't (which could easily happen when I didn't happen to read this thread) and I would encounter such a situation I wouldn't be happy finding out I now suddenly need to request a license.

With kind regards,

Marten Verhoeven
Just a word on 24/5
We handle/deliver 24 x 5 through our 3 main support sites located in Germany, USA and Japan. The 3 sites are almost ideally distributed over the globe. E.g. when the office closes in Sindelfingen, our colleagues in USA have just come to the office - and so on. 24 x 5 also means that we are available on holidays (Monday-Friday) at all 3 locations. For the customer, this is one of the benefits of the acquisition of CoCreate by PTC :-) For us at CoCreate, it means an additional obligation - however, I not not want to question this here. We are here for our customers - and not vice versa.

Best regards,

Max

Last edited by maku; 06-18-2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Fixed typos and improved formatting
Old 06-19-2009, 05:07 AM

I now have a working license. Thanks Max.

I created a simple command to enable the switch (useful when you quickly need to fix a file and don't want to search for the right commands to type). Maybe useful to you BMaverick?
I added this to my own 'admin menu' and I load it only in my profile (don't want it available to users).
If you want it to appear in the toolbox remove this line: ":toolbox-button t".

Regards,

Marten Verhoeven

Code:
(in-package :BEEK)
(use-package :oli)

(sd-defdialog 'vb_filing_switch
    :dialog-title "Filing switch"
    :toolbox-button nil
    :variables '(
        (module_active
            :value-type :boolean
            :toggle-type :wide-toggle
            :title "Switch active"
            :initial-value (oli::sd-module-active-p "FILING_SWITCHES")
        )
    )
    :ok-action '(sd-call-cmds (progn
        (if module_active
            (progn
                (f2:module-activate "FILING_SWITCHES")
                (when (equal ':error (oli::CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES t))
                    (sd-display-error "Failed to start the 'Allow missing files' switch")
                );end if
            );end progn
        ;else
            (progn
                (oli::CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES nil)
                (f2:module-deactivate "FILING_SWITCHES")
            );end progn
        );end if
    ))
);end defdialog
Old 06-19-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Hi Sheriff,
Thinking beyond the "licensing problem" that we will have under control very soon....
How much 3D data are we talking about?
How many files?
How many MB or GB?
Marten noticed that I am taking data integrity and reliability seriously,
so I am committed to "have a look" at your situation.
Maku,

3D data about 27,000 files.
All files generated by ME10 and Cocreate about 54,000.
10.3Gb

Some of the old design teams used PKG for the higher up assemblies while other teams used the 3D Instance. It took a while to understand how theose teams operated with the file system storage structure.

When making any changes, I use the Windows OS Search command to scan every directory and to report back the size, data created and location. Most of the time it's simple enough to pick out the latest part file or MI drawing for the current release. Others are somewhat obscure and the need to load the files to evaluate.

The good thing is, all of the MI files are published to PDF files and stored in one location. I use that as a back check to the various data types.

Also, all the design teams did not label the p/n's inside the assembly Structure Browser. Instead they had used descriptive names. It has made life more complex. Yes, I'm in a hole clawing my way up and out.

The other helpful part in all of this are the products themselves. Three different products types exist and makes life a little easier to hunt the data for what one is working on. The down side is, there are four p/n'ing systems in place for the file names. Here we have stuck to only one as we move forward. Thus, the legacy data.

When I mention 3D data for the total of files, that is all of the current 3D files. It seems that the design teams rarely saved the older revision levels of part files or assemblies. They did however only save the older MI files. So, much of the 3D data is current and active. The down side is, it's copied in more than one location as it was used elsewhere all over the file system tree structures.

It is a very common occurace to load an MI file and have the Drawing Browser showing the Sheet(s) all red too.

So, that's it in a nut shell.

Co-Create 2007 (15.50G)
ANSYS Workbench 14
SolidWorks 2011
PADS 2000
Applicon Bravo
Autotrol
CADAM
Pro/E
Old 06-19-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I now have a working license. Thanks Max.

I created a simple command to enable the switch (useful when you quickly need to fix a file and don't want to search for the right commands to type). Maybe useful to you BMaverick?
I added this to my own 'admin menu' and I load it only in my profile (don't want it available to users).
If you want it to appear in the toolbox remove this line: ":toolbox-button t".

Regards,

Marten Verhoeven

Code:
(in-package :BEEK)
(use-package :oli)

(sd-defdialog 'vb_filing_switch
    :dialog-title "Filing switch"
    :toolbox-button nil
    :variables '(
        (module_active
            :value-type :boolean
            :toggle-type :wide-toggle
            :title "Switch active"
            :initial-value (oli::sd-module-active-p "FILING_SWITCHES")
        )
    )
    :ok-action '(sd-call-cmds (progn
        (if module_active
            (progn
                (f2:module-activate "FILING_SWITCHES")
                (when (equal ':error (oli::CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES t))
                    (sd-display-error "Failed to start the 'Allow missing files' switch")
                );end if
            );end progn
        ;else
            (progn
                (oli::CLUSTER-MANAGER-CONTROL :ALLOW-MISSING-FILES nil)
                (f2:module-deactivate "FILING_SWITCHES")
            );end progn
        );end if
    ))
);end defdialog
Hi Marten,
you can further control/limit the usage by using standard features of MEls (access control via IP range and/or "named" access). Since you posted the code in the forum, you cannot prevent people from just putting it into one of their LISP-files. However, by entering an access list into the MEls.conf file, you should really have things under control (unless everyone has access to the server running MEls).

Regards,

Max
Old 06-19-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Maku,

3D data about 27,000 files.
All files generated by ME10 and Cocreate about 54,000.
10.3Gb

Some of the old design teams used PKG for the higher up assemblies while other teams used the 3D Instance. It took a while to understand how theose teams operated with the file system storage structure.

When making any changes, I use the Windows OS Search command to scan every directory and to report back the size, data created and location. Most of the time it's simple enough to pick out the latest part file or MI drawing for the current release. Others are somewhat obscure and the need to load the files to evaluate.

The good thing is, all of the MI files are published to PDF files and stored in one location. I use that as a back check to the various data types.

Also, all the design teams did not label the p/n's inside the assembly Structure Browser. Instead they had used descriptive names. It has made life more complex. Yes, I'm in a hole clawing my way up and out.

The other helpful part in all of this are the products themselves. Three different products types exist and makes life a little easier to hunt the data for what one is working on. The down side is, there are four p/n'ing systems in place for the file names. Here we have stuck to only one as we move forward. Thus, the legacy data.

When I mention 3D data for the total of files, that is all of the current 3D files. It seems that the design teams rarely saved the older revision levels of part files or assemblies. They did however only save the older MI files. So, much of the 3D data is current and active. The down side is, it's copied in more than one location as it was used elsewhere all over the file system tree structures.

It is a very common occurace to load an MI file and have the Drawing Browser showing the Sheet(s) all red too.

So, that's it in a nut shell.
Some recommendations to get an overview of your 3D data:
For each SD-file do:
- pb_pub.exe -S -i SD-file

Output looks like:
mkublin@sifi-dbs1 /cygdrive/e/cvs/cvsosm/projects/osmsd/regtest/data-in/SD
$ pb_pub -S -i B15.SD
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<SDfile>
<cluster type="asbm_struct" subcluster="0" sysid="029000-1122270390-1111296058-0 7381113">
<file_revision> "MR13_01_RELEASE" </file_revision>
<cluster_name> "90003165" </cluster_name>
<reference type="primary" sysid="029000-1122270390-1111296058-0 7390364">
<source_cluster type="npart3" sysid="029000-1122270390-1111296058-0 7863045"/>
<target_cluster type="part_struct" sysid="029000-1122270390-1111296058-0 7390364" filename="B16.SD"
</reference>
<reference type="primary" sysid="660353-979720139-1083369027-0 84841">
<source_cluster type="npart3" sysid="029000-1122270390-1111296058-0 7882787"/>
<target_cluster type="part_struct" sysid="660353-979720139-1083369027-0 84841" filename="B55.SD"/>
</reference>
<reference type="primary" sysid="660353-979720139-1083369027-0 84841">
<source_cluster type="npart3" sysid="029000-1122270390-1111296058-0 7882797"/>
<target_cluster type="part_struct" sysid="660353-979720139-1083369027-0 84841" filename="B55.SD"/>
</reference>
</cluster>
</SDfile>

This will give you:
- table of contents (what is in the file?)
- list of references (what is referenced from this file?)

Question: where is this pb_pub.exe??
Answer: it ships with every Modeling, it is located in the same directory as Soliddesigner.exe

That's not all, but a first step into the direction of getting an overview
about the chaos.

Stay tuned for more hints from the inventor of the SYSID.

Regards,

Max

Tags
2007, 377, error, error 337, error 377