CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > General > Web Site and Forum Info

View Poll Results: Should we allow non-CoCreate CAD related posts in the 3rd Party Software forum?
Yes 4 25.00%
No 12 75.00%
Voters: 16. This poll is closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Should we allow posting about other CAD products?

Recently a thread was posted about add-ons for AutoCAD (click here to view the thread). Although the thread seemed to have no direct relation to CoCreate or it's products, it was CAD related and might be of interest to forum members. This is kind of a gray area so I'm posting this poll to let forum members decide if we will allow this kind of posting in the "3rd Party Software and Services" forum (subject to the Guidelines of that forum). Please vote and post any discussion here. You don't have to be registered or logged in to vote.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:41 AM

Re: Should we allow posting about other CAD products?

That advertising posting is in a very very dark gray zone IMHO.

This tool, and the others offered, can *only* be used within Autocad itself. I do not see any secondary benefit for CoCreate product users.

If the cad add no / tool / whatever offered, would e.g. work on files to downgrade xyz file version of product zyx so that it can be imported into a CoCreate product. Ok.. then CoCreate users would have a indirect benefit.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:42 PM

For the posting which triggered this discussion, I'm not sure why I'd want to see it here in our forum. That said, I don't have a problem with postings which relate to other packages, as long as they are also relevant in some respect for users of PTC/CoCreate products. The poll question doesn't express it like this, but I take the liberty of interpreting it that way and will therefore vote "yes".
Old 09-11-2008, 12:26 AM

Forums like this one should not be used for commercial purposes and certainly not for other products then those usefull for Cocreate products. If you allow that where will this end?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by koninkske View Post
Forums like this one should not be used for commercial purposes and certainly not for other products then those usefull for Cocreate products. If you allow that where will this end?
Thanks for posting your opinion. There was some discussion and voting about this topic before we added the 3rd Party Software and Services forum. We decided that posting advertisements about CoCreate related tools was of value to the member community and decided to give it a try. We established some rules so it would not get out of hand and so far the vendors who have used it have followed the rules and behaved very professionally.

On the other hand it wouldn't make sense to allow VARs to advertise Inventor or Solidworks or SpaceClaim or other competitive CAD tools here because a CoCreate forum is not the place for that.

AutoCAD utilities fall into a sort of gray area because the DXF/DWG format has become a defacto 2D standard and the CoCreate tools can import that format. Because there are no such utilities for the MI format, they could be of value to CoCreate users. For example, I allowed the Software for converting PDF files to DWG files thread because people have asked me about importing PDF files into Drafting and I thought it could be of value to forum members.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:20 PM

I voted yes, but with the caveat that it doesn't become such a problem that we're wading through spam to find the real content. There's only been one (or a few) in many years - no big deal, and whoever is posting is wasting their time. If there were many pointless posts, additional action may be needed.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Administrator

The poll has closed and the result is clearly against allowing posting of non-CoCreate related CAD products. So I have deleted the AutoCAD utilities post which started this discussion. Future posts of that type will be deleted immediately.