CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Old NewsGroup Archive > Archive Forums > System Administration

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-1998, 04:35 AM
Lynn

TAR DAT Tapes on NT?

Is there a way to connect my DAT drive to my pc (NT4 o/s) and read TAR tapes?
Old 12-16-1998, 03:58 AM
Keli Moon

re: TAR DAT Tapes on NT?

I don't know if there is any way to use a DAT with NT. But you can extract your files into your UNIX systems and then either use NFS or FTP to get them.
Old 12-23-1998, 10:00 PM
Roman Toenshoff

Perhaps you can use the Cygnus-GNU-Tools. They come with a gnu-tar. I know that it is possible to use the DAT-drive from the command line, bt i forgot the command ;-) bye Roman
Old 10-16-1999, 09:17 PM
ron sterk

If your dat unit is an normal Tape unit for example an HP DDS 2 or 3 unit, an you have an SCSI interface you can connect the unit to your PC and use it as an backup unit for example. If you want to read TAR format you can use the PAX command in NT. Type help pax in a DOS box and you can get the info. It ain't easy but it works, you can also by MKS Toolkit, it has an visual PAX, which works much user friendly. If the problem is that you want to transfer files from a unix machine to a pc, perhaps you can better put an pc in your Unix network, install Tcp/ip and use an FTP program like Ws_ftp (www.shareware.com). We are a CoCreate Premium Partner and we use this when we for example want to put the entire drawing data from an unix machine to an PC. I hope this info helps you.