Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Support > Customization

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 05:30 AM

Help! PEN file question!

In Pen file, there are the following contents:

(:OLD_LINETYPE :ALL :COLOR_DEF :ALL :COLOR1
0.0,0.0,0.0 :COLOR2
1.0,1.0,1.0 :PENSIZE_DEF :ALL :PENSIZE1 0 :PENSIZE2 1000000.0
:NEW_LINETYPE :SAME :NEW_PENSIZE :OFF :PEN_NUMBER 1)

What meaning is it separately to ask several?

I want to customize PEN file.

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Re: Help! PEN file question!

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking for, but basically the code you posted is called a pen transformation which maps lines you see in the Annotation viewport on your screen to lines in a printed drawing.

:OLD_LINETYPE :ALL
map lines of all types (solid, dashed, etc). Could be a specific types such as :PHANTOM

:COLOR_DEF :ALL :COLOR1 0.0,0.0,0.0 :COLOR2 1.0,1.0,1.0
map screen lines of all colors. Could be a specific RGB color (:COLOR_DEF :SINGLE) or RGB range (:COLOR_DEF :BAND) as specified by :COLOR1 and :COLOR2

:PENSIZE_DEF :ALL :PENSIZE1 0 :PENSIZE2 1000000.0
map screen lines of all pensizes. Could be a specific pensize (:SINGLE) or range (:BAND) of pensizes specified by :PENSIZE1 and :PENSIZE2 as a line width in mm.

:NEW_LINETYPE :SAME
make the printed line types (solid, dashed, etc) the same as the screen line type. Could be mapped to a different linetype but I have never done this.

:NEW_PENSIZE :OFF
use the pensize of the screen lines as the line width in mm for the printed line. Instead of :OFF this could be a number for the printed line width in mm (:NEW_PENSIZE 0.2).

:PEN_NUMBER 1
print using pen number 1 which translates to a black line on most printers. You can find a full list of pen numbers and colors in the Drafting Programming Reference Help under "Plot pen colors", but the basic colors by pen number are:
0- white/no print
1 - black
2 - red
3 - green
4 - yellow
5 - blue
6 - magenta
7 - cyan

Typically a pen file would contain a series of the these transformations which are defined in order. So for example you can set a default for all screen lines similiar to the one above as the first transformation, then override the settings for specific linetypes, line colors, and pensizes in subsequent transformations.

I don't know if all the options are documented anywhere, but you can create new pen transformations from the user interface and save the pen file and study them. You might find the attached file helpful, it contains a pen file with several transformations.

If I remember correctly you are using Modeling version 2006. You should be aware that how pen transformations are stored and loaded changes dramatically in 2007 due to the new Settings browser and persistent setting scheme. So you may not want to invest a lot of time creating version 2006 pen files if you will be migrating to 2007.
Attached Files
File Type: txt default.pen.txt (18.3 KB, 248 views)