CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > General > Web Site and Forum Info

View Poll Results: Should we change the listing of the old NewsGroup Archive forums on the home page.
Yes: Hide the forums so they are no longer visible. but still searchable. 1 12.50%
Yes: Make them all subforums which can be accessed from the home page similar to the test. 7 87.50%
No: Leave the NewsGroup Archive forums as they are. 0 0%
Voters: 8. This poll is closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Proposal for old archive forums on main page

I have received a suggestion to make the old Newsgroup Archive forums on the home page less visible. The concern is that they may confuse new people who come to the CoCreate User Forum that are unfamiliar with the old product names. It also may not be clear to people that these forums are no longer active since they look similar to the others. I can see the point but any change this big should be put to a vote.

I have found two ways this could be done in vBulletin.

1. Hide the archive forums. The forums would no longer be visible from the home page or any forum listings, but would still be part of the forum site. Posts in these forums would still be found by "All Forums" type searches and the forums could still be viewed using a direct URL.

2. Convert the archive forums into sub-forums. See the example NewsGroup Archive Test category that I added at the bottom of the home page. It provides some idea of how it would look and could be navigated although I did not add all the sub-forum names. It is also possible to remove the display of the Sub-Forums list in the Archived Forums box displayed on the home page (see image below). This would not provide direct links from the home page, but you could still navigate the sub-forum structure by clicking on either Newsgroup Archive Test or Archived Forums from the home page. It would also be possible to eliminate the separate NewsGroup Archive category entirely and put the Archived Newsgroup forum as the last forum under the Support category.

If you have any thoughts or suggestions, please post here or send me an Email or Private Message (click on my name). This poll will be open for voting until Jan 9, 2007.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no_list_subfolders.gif
Views:	555
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	735  
Old 01-10-2007, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Re: Proposal for old archive forums on main page

Well voter turn out was low but it was a landslide for option 2 to convert the old archives to subforums. This change has been made to the forum home page. If you click the Archive Forums link on the home page you will get a view of all the archives similar to what was previously on the home page. The subforums will still be part of any "all forum" type searches including the default Search from the toolbar at the top.