CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Modeling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2003, 11:45 AM

Deleting parts from ModelManager

Does anyone know how I can delete parts from the database of ModelManager. They are parts that I no longer need.
Thanks
Old 04-07-2003, 08:44 AM

I've deleted 3D and 2D documents from Work Manager without any issues. I normally just use the Delete document command under the Document menu. Work Manager won't let you delete a document that still has parent elements (though it would really be nice if the system would tell you who the parents are).
Old 04-25-2003, 04:12 PM

You can't delete documents using ModelManager. You can
delete the Masterdata, however.

We have asked CoCreate to add that capability. In the mean
time you can use a different interface to the database like
DesignManager, Desktop or the standard WorkManager
interface to delete.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:34 PM

Re: Deleting parts from ModelManager

In the release of CoCreate OneSpace Model Manager for Modeling 2004, deleting parts and other product design data from the database was improved with the Delete Wizard. Read more.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:49 AM

Re: Deleting parts from ModelManager

You can delete both documents and Masterdata in Model Manager today.

As May pointed out, though, you cannot delete documents that have parents.

What this means is you cannot delete any model that is used in any assembly stored in Model Manager. I'm not sure if you can delete a model that is associated with a drawing, either. It used to be that you could not delete a document if it was referenced into anyone else's packet, either. I don't know if that is still true or not.

If you want to delete a thing referenced by something else, you have to open the something else (all versions of it that use the thing!) delete the referenced thing, and re-save it into the database. Once you have eliminated all of the reference links, you can then delete the thing.

The bottom line is this: Once something has been put into Model Manager and starts to be used (referenced) by other things, it becomes extraordinarily difficult to delete it. I find it's easier just to leave the garbage in the database. It took me a long time to accept this way of working, as I am always bugged by leaving "junk" data lying around. But what I came to realize is that when people go looking for data in the database, they are usually searching for "good" parts, and unless you go looking for *.*, chances are most people will never see the garbage. It's inefficient data-storage wise, which I'm sure the IT guys wouldn't like if they knew about it, but hey, disk drives are pretty cheap these days.

Steve