CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Old NewsGroup Archive > Archive Forums > User Group Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-1998, 11:19 PM
Jamie Allen

UNIX to Win95/Win-NT Macro "Translator"

Has there been any consideration to the creation of a macro that would take a macro written for the UNIX version of ME10 and "translate" it into a macro that is non-platform dependant (ie: the macro would run on either UNIX/ME10, Win95/ME10 or Win-NT/ME10). This is going to be an ever pressing issue due to HP "stearing" everyone from the workstation cad networks to Windows-NT. I know many other sites other than myself are very heavily into macro/customization and will need such a macro. I recently took a UNIX macro and manually made it non-platform dependant and it took me 1-1 1/2 months.
Old 11-20-1998, 05:02 AM
Joe Locke

re: UNIX to Win95/Win-NT Macro

Hey did you get anywhere with this question. So I will be having the same problem. I would be willing to work with you on this.
Old 12-04-1998, 05:52 AM
Doug Warenback

I may be missing something or what? I have been running my same macros on my unix and pc for 3 years now..If the macros are maintained as text files then simple FTP file transfer between stations is all that is required. please post a response if I am wrong.
Old 12-04-1998, 06:10 AM
Joe Locke

Joe, Other than yourself and Doug Warenback, I have not heard anything else concerning this matter. As you have seen and are experiencing yourself, there is a genuine need for this sort of macro. Please let me know if you would like to proceed further. I can be reached at (540) 291-1112 xt: 258 or dli@cfw.com. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you. Jamie Allen Corporate Unix Network Administrator
Old 01-21-1999, 08:21 PM
Bruce Fisher

I don't think it's possible to have such a translator. Doug Warenback addressed the issue of text translation, but the other issue would be to pick out the macros that use unix commands, such as "pwd". We had a few of those, and I simply deleted them from the customization for the 95/NT machines. My big issue right now is plotting, which I'm posting about in a separate thread.
Old 01-21-1999, 09:47 PM
Darren Litherland

Guys - is the problem here a matter of there being thousands of lines of code that need re-writing or is it a matter of not knowing how to implement the Unix stuff in Windows?
Old 02-21-1999, 11:07 PM
Jamie Allen

To whom it may concern, I was recently asked the following, "Guys - is the problem here a matter of there being thousands of lines of code that need re-writing or is it a matter of not knowing how to implement the Unix stuff in Windows?". This question was posed to me by a gentleman by the name of Darren Litherland. In answer to this question, the problem is "having many lines of code that need re-writing". My basis for investigating this issue is that I know such a "translator" is available for converting BASIC programs to C programs. It only seems logical that a similar translator can/could/has or will be written for converting macros written for use on a UNIX system to macros that will work on any system (UNIX, Windows 95 or Windows-NT). I also know that this macro would be very beneficial to other "mixed platform" users like myself. Especially, since HP is pushing everyone to utilizing the Windows-NT machines for their "terminals" and only using the workstations for their servers. This is due to the fact that, I have been told by HP, the X-Stations are being fased out and are only being manufactured on a limited and "special order" basis. I was informed that this was being done since the Windows-NT/PC stations were now as fast (and many times faster) and were also much cheaper. Please respond with any "helpful" comments you may have. Sincerely, Jamie Allen Corporate UNIX Network Administrator
Old 03-02-1999, 04:28 AM
Joe Locke

Let me clearify my question. I have macros the use unix commands and i was looking for the dos equivilent. What i found was a company called MKS which has NT equil. unix commands. I haven't tried any yet. www.mks.com
Old 03-03-1999, 02:40 AM
Poul S. Berthelsen

Most of the unix commands (OS calls) can be translated to commands executed with use of the cmd.exe that follows NT. If you use win95 you will not be able to translate so many OS calls. If you have any specific problems, email me, maybe I have allready made a solution on our system. Kind regards Poul S. Berthelsen