CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Modeling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2002, 02:39 PM

shared parts

Hello,

Can anyone verify if it is possible to have mirror parts shared? I'd like to prehaps create a routine that would be able to do it but I'd first like to see if anyone thinks that it's just impossible to do before i begin.

Thanks,
rr79
Old 11-18-2002, 03:40 PM

It is a good idea and you should post it as an Enhancement Request. Can it be done with a macro, I don't know?
Old 11-19-2002, 01:12 AM

If you mirror a part then the geometry of this part is changed. Thus the original part and the mirrored part cannot be shared.
Shared parts always share the same geometry. And after a mirror operation the geometry of the mirrored part is different then the original.

Dorothea
Old 11-19-2002, 04:12 PM

As has been said, you can't currently have a mirrored share. This would be an extremely powerful and valuable function. I submitted an enhancement request to CoCreate in Jan. '02. It was a duplicate, meaning someone else had already requested it. I encourage you to do the same (rather than, or in addition to, adding to the enhancement request list on this site).
Old 11-21-2002, 06:04 PM

Shared Mirrored Parts

I requested this enhancement several years ago. The response I got from CoCreate at the time was that it was not possible. They were looking at a shared part in a very limited interpretation with regard to instances. I explained that I didn't care if the part was "shared" by a strict definition, just that I wanted the ability to have a right and left hand part. That whatever I did to the right hand, the same would happen to the left. I also noted that this is a feature in most Parametric software. From what I gather, this is one place that Dynamic Modeling falls short. I do wish CoCreate would take another look at it as it would be a very valuable tool.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:02 AM

Hi,

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but the designers at my company would also love the ability to share mirrored parts. We do work for the Automotive industry (designing LED-based lighting), and we often need to generate right and left hand assemblies. A share-mirror part function would save time with the many changes and updates the we go through on every job.

I'll make sure to also request this functionality from CoCreate.

Regards.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:32 PM

Re: shared parts

This is a copy of a request I made back in 2002! Still no responce from CoCreate. I see lots of other people would find this useful as well. So what gives CoCreate?

Post from Oct. 2002
"I requested this enhancement several years ago. The response I got from CoCreate at the time was that it was not possible. They were looking at a shared part in a very limited interpretation with regard to instances. I explained that I didn't care if the part was "shared" by a strict definition, just that I wanted the ability to have a right and left hand part. That whatever I did to the right hand, the same would happen to the left. I also noted that this is a feature in most Parametric software. From what I gather, this is one place that Dynamic Modeling falls short. I do wish CoCreate would take another look at it as it would be a very valuable tool.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 09:26 AM

Can you have mirrored parts shared?

The answer is yes and no.

It depends on the geometry. New in Modeling 2007 was the ability to Share Mirrored Parts, but this is limited to parts that can be "mirrored" by moving the parts. In the Part & Assy menu, in the Create section, there is a Mirror menu now. And the specific magic switch that will make shared parts is the Check for symmetric parts switch. With this switch on, if the part can be rotated, translated or flipped to create the mirror part, then it will be shared. Otherwise it will be a new part as the geometry will be different. Look at the first attached image as an example of parts that will be shared, and the second one as an example of parts that can't be shared.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror1.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1155   Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror2.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	1156  
Old 03-12-2008, 02:07 PM

Hi Chris, Thanks for the update, but this is hardly a new feature. All that has been done is a command that makes sharing and locating a part into a single mouse click. Yes helpful but not at all what I am talking about.

I need to be able to have parts related so that if I cut the thumb off the right hand part it also cuts the thumb off the left hand part. I know this does not meet the strict definition of a shared part. But the functionality is needed regardless of anyway definition you want to give it.

I know there are some very bright development engineers at CoCreate. And perhaps with the new partnership with PCT there can be some progress in this area. I don't care if a small amount of parametrics has to be added to my package if it allows this function.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 03:09 PM

I'd also made such a request, and I was expecting to see something in 16.00. Unfortunaly, beta 16.00 does not offer such a feature.
I do know that it could not be a shared part, but rather a new concept that could be name M-Shared part. M-Shared parts should support machining appropriately and share common properties as Shared part do, but mirrored, isn't?