CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > General > Make Test Posts Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 01:25 PM

Question On Switching From Sw To Cc

I am considering switching from SolidWorks to CoCreate. I have read many of the positives, are there any negatives? I will be working with 300 or more part assemblies with a number of motions involved and will be importing large IGES and STEP files as well as exporting files. I have had problem with SW model stability, meaning assemlies readily fall apart and have to be rebuilt (due to complex interdependencies, non-robust code, or bugs). Too much time spent in investigating, reparing and rebuilding. CoCreate sounds great, but honestly nothing is perfect. Where may weaknesse lie?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:59 PM

Re: Question On Switching From Sw To Cc

Hi,

the real strength of OSD is the freedom of working. It's like working with clay. This is also it's weak point sometimes. So, an assembly won't fall apart easily, because there are no dependencies, but.... there are no dependencies unless you make them (with the advanced assembly module, for example). Another example: you can move an axle 0.1 mm, so that it doesn't align with it's bearing anymore, and only a clash check or zooming in far enough will tell you that something's wrong. If you build an assembly with parameters, you would probably link the axle and the bearing, and you're sure they always align.
So, the OSD's freedom is both it's strong and weak point.
In general, my opinion is that parametric CAD systems are often too complex for the human mind, and OSD can offer too much freedom for the human mind...
Some guys with SW or Pro/E experience who start working at our company, feel a bit unsecure because of this (how can I be sure that all positions are exactly right??)

Kind regards,
Jaap
Old 01-14-2008, 06:37 AM

Re: Question On Switching From Sw To Cc

Robert, I wrote a paper about the differences in these CAD technologies. It was published in 3 parts at www.cadcamnet.com. Look for links to the articles on the right hand side of thier home page. The article series is titled "A Primer On Modeling Technologies".

It might help a little. Let me know if you have any questions.

Paul