CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > Data Management

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 09:45 AM

Oracle versus Microsoft SQL

We are now using Oracle 10g to run Model Manger. Is anyone using Microsoft SQL? Is there a user limit with Microsoft SQL? We are a department of 14 users. Are there advantages to using Oracle versus Microsoft SQL? What are the pros and cons of both?

Thank you for anyone who can give me answers.
Nan
Old 05-05-2010, 11:39 PM

Re: Oracle versus Microsoft SQL

Hi Nan,
We have transferred quite a few of our customers now from Oracle to SQL. We have had no adverse reports of any performance issues, if anything it seems to run quicker. Even though we have a great deal of experience with Oracle, Microsoft SQL is defintely easier to work with and more tolerant, also many customers already have MSSQL skills wheras Oracle tends to be a bit more specialized. I guess the only downside is there is a cost in time to move, but in most instances we can do it within a day now.

www.csi-europe.com
Old 05-25-2010, 07:15 AM

Due to non-UTF issue in HPUX system, I am in the planning stage to move our database from Oracle to MS SQL. Since I have more users (300 users) and more distributed file servers (8 file servers) across all 3 regions (Asia, US and Europe), I definitely have a concern on MS SQL performance when doing migration from Oracle to MS SQL. Any recommendation on database hardware (server) for MS SQL? Anyone has any experience on using high availability Microsoft Clustering System (MSCS) for CoCreate Manager database?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:30 AM

Personally, I prefer Oracle over SQL. It's harder to learn, requires a highly skillful DBA, and definitely costs way more, but it really does deliver the specific performance I'm looking for. SQL is often good enough for most companies because it's easier to use and gets the job done at a much cheaper price.

In the end, I think it all depends on your own preferences--how much you're willing to spend and what kind of outcomes you want to achieve. And as martincrow has pointed out, the database performance largely depends on your developers so it's really a matter of knowing what works best for you.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:16 AM

unless you have a huge implementation with hundreds of users, MS SQL Server is the way to go. Might be better overall choice to go with standard version of MS SQL SVR rather than the free express version (I think cocreate MM install will install the express version for you if you want)

in addition to other advantages, where ms sql svr shines is tooling support...using ms visual studio to look at the database contents is so easy and painless vs. trying to figure out all of oracle's strange tools...
Old 09-19-2011, 11:56 AM

We too are looking at migrating from Oracle to MS SQL for two CAD systems right now. The current Oracle runs Siemens TeamCenter on HP-UX.

Going to a Windows server would allow us to have UGNX and Catia under one PLM TeamCenter.

If the new Creo Direct works like the Creo Parametric (Pro/E), it is very possible to allow Creo Direct to work under the Siemens TeamCenter rather than a Model Manager. This would allow us to have one PLM solution that can interface with all the CAD systems we have in-house along with our ANSYS data.

Jason: "How much does it pay?"
Citizen: "Well, none of our other sheriffs ever lived long enough to find out."

Co-Create 2007 (15.50G)
ANSYS Workbench 14
SolidWorks 2011
UGNX-7.5 / TeamCenter UA 8
PADS 2000
Applicon Bravo
Autotrol
CADAM
Pro/E
Old 09-20-2011, 04:02 AM

everything you write sounds reasonable, but it should be noted that it will take "5-7 years" (a quote from PTC VP Campbell last year) before all the features in elements direct (former cocreate) are implemented in "Creo Direct"...

...probably when Creo Direct 2.0 comes out you might be able to make some minor sacrifices vs. legacy CC functionality and be able to get on the "true" CREO platform at that time...

...while there is no doubt that direct modeling has gotten more press and a modest increase in adoption, myself I remain concern that PTC will only continue investment in building out CREO direct if demand exists. I've been to several customer meetings where some of the (big) existing PTC customers see a demo of direct modeling and their first question is "How do we turn off this functionality?...we don't want it"...

good luck!