CoCreate User Forum  

Go Back   CoCreate User Forum > Applications > CoCreate Modeling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 AM

Align parts using two Axis alined possible?

Hi.
Without using module, can I align two axis aligned at the same time?

I wonder how you can manage this assembly constraint issue. With module activated the axis alignments are coexisting, I seem to remember. But without it, unless I align face and one axis I cannot align two part like I showed here.

Or, I need to get workplanes on two holes for each of the parts and mate them. Which is long way to go.

Any suggestions on aligning parts like these?
Thank you in advance.

P.S. I have PE so I uploaded only pk2 files, for the reference purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OneAxisAloneAlgned.png
Views:	397
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1130   Click image for larger version

Name:	AlignedUsingFaceAlignAndAxilAligned.png
Views:	379
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1131  
Attached Files
File Type: zip AlignedWell.zip (11.5 KB, 341 views)
File Type: zip Aligne.zip (11.5 KB, 344 views)
Old 03-04-2008, 01:15 PM

Re: Align parts using two Axis alined possible?

Greetings Toshi, I'm not sure what you mean by "without using module". If you are using Modeling PE, you only have the Annotation module available.

Regardless, aligning the axis of two different hole pairs is not possible in Modeling PE, or in Modeling 14.50 and older. You will get an error message saying "Your last selection would cause the alignment to be inconsistently defined. (Error 375)". However, this was improved in Modeling 15.00 and newer so now you can align two different axis pairs.

There is a new version of Modeling PE that will be coming out shortly that will also have this improvement.

Edited to add, you can pre-register for the new Modeling PE version here: http://apps.cocreate.com/OneSpaceMod...osts=1&start=1

Last edited by chris; 03-04-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:05 PM

Thank you and sorry for confusing you Chris.
I am using 15.50b at office, and I can use modules just as much as we bought.
Would you elaborate how I can align two axis at the same time without activating module with 15.50b?
I would like to know how.
Thank you.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:19 PM

Greetings Toshi, I still don't understand specifically what module you are talking about. Are you referring to the Advanced Assembly module? You don't need any modules activated to align two pairs of holes by axis in 15.50.

Simply Align the first set of holes using the Align Axis command from Position, then, without clicking the green check, pick on the next two holes to align. The key is to not click the green check and finish the command after you align the first two holes. If you click the green check after aligning the first two holes, the "constraint" of the first two holes being aligned will be lost when you attempt to align the second pair of holes.

If that doesn't make sense I will attempt to make a small video tomorrow that illustrates this.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:50 PM

Thank you Chris.
Advanced assembly module, yes.
While I was using 14.50 (it was just a month ago) I needed this to be activated to align two axis, I vaguely remember.

Now, as you mentioned, it worked fine without the module on 15.50B!
Thank you.

The issue is settled.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AdvancedAssembly.png
Views:	364
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1137  
Old 03-05-2008, 03:46 AM

Hi,

maybe I'm confused, but you want to put the blue block on the green block, with the holes aligned, right??
This can be done with Position > Other > Match 3 Points.
Regards,
Jaap
Old 03-05-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkramer View Post
Hi,

maybe I'm confused, but you want to put the blue block on the green block, with the holes aligned, right??
This can be done with Position > Other > Match 3 Points.
Regards,
Jaap
You're right, that can be done, as long as there is a third point to match up. The two pairs of holes represent 2 points to match up, and as long as there is a third common point this would be another way to do it. I didn't load the parts to see if there was a third common point as aligning two axis pairs works just fine.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:07 AM

This has long been a frustration of mine as well. It seems a severe limitation not to be able to align two axis. In your example, you might consider aligning one axis, then using parallel face to rotate the part around the aligned axis. This doesn't work though if you don't have faces that would be parallel, for instance a circular part with a set of bolt holes like a pipe flange.

The other work-around is to mate faces, then align one axis, then go to position dynamic and rotate around the aligned axis, and use the angle measure tool to find the angle required to align the two holes (Angle - Direction - Two Points, center of aligned to center of hole that needs to move - Two Points, center of aligned to center of stationary hole).
Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmatelich View Post
This has long been a frustration of mine as well. It seems a severe limitation not to be able to align two axis. In your example, you might consider aligning one axis, then using parallel face to rotate the part around the aligned axis. This doesn't work though if you don't have faces that would be parallel, for instance a circular part with a set of bolt holes like a pipe flange.

The other work-around is to mate faces, then align one axis, then go to position dynamic and rotate around the aligned axis, and use the angle measure tool to find the angle required to align the two holes (Angle - Direction - Two Points, center of aligned to center of hole that needs to move - Two Points, center of aligned to center of stationary hole).
Very clever Greg, but again, those work-arounds are only necessary if you are on version 14.50 or older. In version 15.00 this was improved so you can now align the axis of two pairs of holes. Upgrade to 15.00 or 15.50 and it's a snap!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:18 AM

Sweet! I skimmed over that detail. Thanks.

Just another reason I can't wait for that upgrade!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
You're right, that can be done, as long as there is a third point to match up. The two pairs of holes represent 2 points to match up, and as long as there is a third common point this would be another way to do it. I didn't load the parts to see if there was a third common point as aligning two axis pairs works just fine.
I realize this situation has been resolved in 15, but don't underestimate Match Pts. This was the best way to solve this situation before v15. It is still one of the most powerful methods for positioning.

The first point set will always match. The second point set does not need to match, pt1 and pt2 will define a line, or vector, that will match. The third point set also does not need to match. Pt3, along with pt1 and pt2, will define a plane that will match. A simple graphic is below. In your example above, use the center of the holes for pt1 and pt2. The third point can be anywhere on the mating faces - just make sure both 3rd points are on the same side of the pt1--pt2 line to ensure proper orientation.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Match_Pts.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	1138  
Old 03-06-2008, 07:47 AM

I didn't realize match points didn't need to have exact matches. Thanks, I'll try to keep that in mind. Never-the-less, match points requires six clicks (though that is probably less than my rotate by angle solution), and if the parts are severely out of line or spatially separated it may take a lot of mental computation or zooming/panning to get all three points clicked in the right order.